Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2008, 03:18 PM

My question is were sailing jan 3rd of 2010 what is the weather like out in the ocean when your on your way to hawaii or on your way back? Can you be on the balcony or is it to cold? Shana
Old 06-10-2008, 06:14 PM
shana, I covered this in your other thread. In short, expect it to be too cool to use the balcony the first two days out and the last two days coming back. Other than that, it should be okay. It will be warmer each day as you approach the Islands.

Rick
Old 06-11-2008, 06:13 AM

Rick is right about the first two days. We had a balcony on our first Hawaiian cruise & decided against it on our second trip. We didn't use it much on the way to Hawaii & hardly much once we arrived at the islands since we were always doing something else. Either we were off the ship, eating diner, going to a show or sleeping. It's a nice option if cost isn't a consideration but considering the limited use you get I vote against it. If the ship were in the Caribbean or Mexico it would be a completely different story.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 AM

WE always get a balcony and if it gets cold, bring a jacket! We used ours so much in Alaska, I just kept the jackets near the door.

It all depends on what you like. A balcony is great when you get closer to Hawaii and when you are traveling around the islands. No need to go back and forth to the decks to see the scenery or just lay back and enjoy.

Emerald Princess-11/30/08
Celebrity Century-1/8/09
Old 06-11-2008, 11:26 AM

Thank you all for your opinions about the weather and the deck. At that time of year Jan. it is normally around -20 degrees below 0 F. so We could tolerate if it were even about 40 degrees out with a sweatshirt jacket on and sweatshirt since that would be warm after leaving our cold weather behind. I was thinking what's cold to one could be very different to another since some live in Florida or California and then you get me in the coldest state of the USA, lol. Does anyone have any idea what the temperature range might be out in the pacific that time of year? That might help me more to know if we would mind being out on the balcony or not if we were dressed warm. Jeanne your my type of cruiser, lol, we thought about going to Alaska but we want to get out of the cold in the winter but we are really looking forward to enjoying some deck time. Shana
Old 06-11-2008, 03:53 PM
shana, the air temp. leaving L.A. will be in the mid to high 50's; the same on day 2; by day 3, low to mid 60's, and by day 4, upper 60's to low 70's. From there on, a balmy 78.

This is one time I have to disagree with my friend RichC; we used our balcony everyday with just a light jacket or sweatshirt. But as you see, RichC lives in Florida, so that explains it.
Old 06-11-2008, 04:23 PM

O Yes, thank you for the hope. My mom and I will both do great with just a sweatshirt on on day 1 then after that were going t-shirt on the balcony. Being I am disabled and suffer from many chronic illnesses I can't be gone the full day everyday in port cause I am to weak but will definately spend a good part of our day on land and maybe come back and relax a little and go back off but who knows once I am on land I may just get all kinds of energy but I want a nice balcony to sit back and relax and watch the ocean go by and when were docked I am sure we will enjoy it some then as well. I am 37 but in a 90 year old body so I am not the super active average person traveling to Hawaii. I will find excursions that I can sit and take in the breathtaking views of these great islands. Thanks again for your input. Shana
Old 06-11-2008, 05:39 PM
shana, one thing you and your Mom should consider is the "Ultimate Balcony Dining". For an extra fee (and I'm sorry, I don't remember what it is), you can have a fabulous breakfast or dinner served right on your balcony; they bring everything right to your cabin; this is not just "room service"; this is something special. And you have the perfect balcony to enjoy it.

They do the breakfast on certain sea days; Honolulu is a good place to do the dinner since you are there late.

Rick
Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM

Rick, thank you for letting me know about this and were definately going to do it that would be really nice and your right Honolulu would be a great port for dinner cause we are in that port late. I love finding out about these extra things from you all I get more excited each time I find out something new. Thanks, Shana
Old 06-12-2008, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
shana, the air temp. leaving L.A. will be in the mid to high 50's; the same on day 2; by day 3, low to mid 60's, and by day 4, upper 60's to low 70's. From there on, a balmy 78.

This is one time I have to disagree with my friend RichC; we used our balcony everyday with just a light jacket or sweatshirt. But as you see, RichC lives in Florida, so that explains it.
Hi Rick, You should also be used to the warmer climate living in California.
We're used to being on a balcony in the Caribbean in bating suits not sweatshirts. The only place where you could actually lounge around in shorts was in the enclosed pool area on the upper deck otherwise most people thought it was to cool. (and this was in Dec)

shana - I see that your from N Dakota and are used to the cold weather. In Jan it'll definitely be warmer no matter where you cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
air, balcony, ca, california, cruise, cruises, hawaii, mexican, november, oceah, ocean, sailing, ship, temp, weather