Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 01:27 PM

We recently saved big bucks (over $1200) on a April 2008 Grand Princess cruise because the cruise line dropped prices on balcony cabins. They have also done this on some other cruises and it appears this quiet promotion is a low price on best available balconys. I suggest that anyone who has a Princess cruise under booking might want to check the current price for their cruise (you can do this on any on-line booking engine or through your travel agent). It only takes a few minutes to check your pricing and who knows...perhaps you will get lucky.

Hank
Old 08-30-2007, 03:31 AM
Administrator

Hank, exactly the same thing happened to us last year, also on Grand Princess. I don't recall the savings, but it was substantial. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 08-30-2007, 04:36 AM

I checked my Jan cruise and it looks like it is now $200 cheaper. We have already paid in full. DO i just call my travel agent to make the adjustment?
Old 08-30-2007, 05:31 AM

Erin, yes, call your travel agent. S/he won't make the adjustment right away because s/he has to call Princess first to confirm that your booking qualifies for the lower price. If so, they'll post a credit to your credit card.

Sandy
Old 08-30-2007, 05:18 PM

Sandy has it exactly right! However, Princess can be very resistant to giving additional price cuts once you are past the final payment. But, you have nothing to lose and if you have an assertive TA maybe you will get lucky.

Hank
Old 08-30-2007, 06:25 PM

Hi Hank, they're not just reluctant after final payment, they no longer make adjustments at all after that date. Any new promotions that appear after final payment due date will have a little asterisk stating "For new bookings only". Like at your local Dept store after the season for sweaters, if they mark the sweater you bought at the beginning of the season down for clearance you're too late for a rebate of the difference. Only 3 cruiselines will allow adjustments after the penalty period. Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity will under most promos (not all, like one day sales) continue to allow the rate to be adjusted down. One of the cruiselines which will remain nameless but their initials are HAL won't always allow adjustemnt before the penalty period if you paid in full. Their SWAT, 3 Day and 5 Day sale promotions all require payment in full at the time of booking regardless of the sailing date and any changes or cancellation result in a 100% penalty. That means you'll lose every penny if you book under these promotions and have to cancel for ANY reason, even medical. You can get insurance to cover the cancellation penalties but HAL requires insurance be added at the time of payment so don't think it can be added later, it cannot. Princess has one similar promotion, can't recall what they call it, it's rare that they run it. It also has a full penalty and full payment requirement. So if you're ever told you are required to pay in full at the time of the booking (and it's not the normal, so many days before booking time frame) you're probably in a no change (not even spelling of names) full penalty promotion. A good agent will cover such things at the time of the booking if they're aware. The reason I mention the if part, some travel agents don't deal with the cruiselines on a regular basis and may not know.

Cheers, Neil
Old 08-31-2007, 04:32 AM

I booked my cruise for my wedding and was told that the payment for me and my guests was due by Nov 2...So, although I paid if full perhaps I will still be eligible.. I will try today!
Old 08-31-2007, 11:03 AM

Erin, You can have the rate adjusted until the Nov 2nd date even if you paid in full. The final payment due date is the date penalties begin regardless of when you actually pay the cruise off (with very rare exceptions).
Old 08-31-2007, 12:34 PM

Trvlpro, Thanks for the info. It has become a very interesting time for frequent cruisers (I won't even go into land trips) and enlightened cruisers know they must keep up to date on price changes as well as promotions on any booked cruise. We are just finishing an amazing week where we have cancelled and re-booked 1 cruise (Azamara), and modified two other existing cruise reservations (Princess and RCI) for 3 cruises under booking (Dec, Mar and Apr) totally 53 days. The result of our efforts this week are savings in excess of $2000 (on the 3 previously booked cruises) plus an upgrade on one of the cruises. The cruise lines count on many cruisers not keeping-up with pricing changes and most travel agents not notifying cruisers of changes. There should be a better way (such as guaranteeing that early bookers always get the lowest rates) but its really regressed to a "let the buyer beware" industry.

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
cancelling, cruise, princess