Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2008, 01:47 PM

Bitters are made in Trinidad. They are a special blend of herbs and spices that only 3 people in the world know the recipe. Of them, they only know a part of the recipe. Normally, they are used in mixing drinks (alcoholic). You really can't drink it straight. The gentleman that created the recipe had what we would know today as GERD or acid reflux. He needed something for relief and found the blend after years of trial and error. We took an excursion there when we visited Trinidad. The aroma in the plant was magnificent. You can also use bitters in cooking. If you've had Jamaican jerk, it is similar, only no heat from the peppers.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:48 PM
A liquid seasoning distilled from herbs and spices used in cooking and bar drinks, like Bloody Marys. Very strong and bitter, as the name suggests, but adds a wonderful flavor in minute amounts. A dash in a glass of club soda (or Sprite) has a calming effect on the stomach.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Angostura is the most famous bitters, but Peychaud's Bitters is famous in New Orleans and the surrounding area.

I prefer Peychaud's although it is harder to find sometimes. You can order it online for $4.50 a bottle.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:58 AM

Dave, of course we had the spiel in Trinidad that Angostura was the only true bitter, the rest were fakes I haven't tried Peychaud's, but I can truly attest to the Angostura working for nausea.
Old 11-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I always bring ginger pills with me, but luckily haven't had to use them.

Need some cruise help?
Old 12-01-2008, 12:52 PM

Hey Rotiki,
I can feel for you. I can get nauseaus from a rocking chair, so I get particularly worried when I get on a ship. It kept me from cruising for years. But I now get by with generic Dramamine. I take it before the ship leaves the dock. The adrenaline from the new experience will keep you from getting sleepy, if you are prone to it (I'm not.) But they also have non-drowsy Dramamine. Frankly, I think the stuff is a life saver. Definitely a vacation saver. After about 2 days at sea, unless the sea gets rough, I am fine. You get used to it.

When you go diving, be SURE to take another pill, even if you have been fine for a day or two. You need something that is going to last at least 4 yours. If the rocking dive boat doesn't get you going out, climbing back on with the exhaust fumes from the motor in your face will, if you haven't taken precautions. Be sure to eat a banana or something between dives too. Nauseau is MUCH worse on an empty stomach.

My husband and I just got off the ship yesterday, and we had to take Dramamine today because the house was rocking! See, you do get sea legs! Have a great trip, tell me about the diving when you are done, and take the pills before you leave port.

Closed Thread

Tags
anti, antinausea, antinauseants, cruise, effects, medicine, nausea, nauseant, nauseants, patch, princess, provide, scop, ship, side