Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2008, 04:09 PM

Hi Everyone!

Does anyone have any recommendations for an anti-nauseant with little drowsiness side effects?
I used to have an iron stomach but over the last year or so I have developed a very finnicky stomach. On my last vacation to Cuba, I was seasick on the catamaran and the scuba diving boat. These are considerably smaller than a cruise ship of course but I heard that cruise ships still rock enough to make some people seasick and this is my first cruise. I don't want to be heaving over the side the whole time haha!

Thanks for your help.
Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM

Hi Rotiki,
I use ginger-ale when I'm feeling a little under the weather. It fixes sick tummy's with no side effects. Or even some ginger tea, if you like, also will work.
Cheers!
hellybelly
Old 11-19-2008, 04:41 PM
Another natural aid that comes up frequently is green apples and saltine crackers, and club soda with a dash of Angostura bitters.

Some common medications are Scopolamine (patch), Bonine (tablets), Sea Band (wrist bands), and non-drowsy Dramamine.

But keep in mind, a cruise ship is nothing at all like a cat or a dive boat. Most of the time you are not even aware you are on a ship. I think some people worry about it so much they actually make themselves sick.

You can also obtain remedies onboard.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:06 PM

Hello,
My first cruise was pretty rough- I tried the over the counter ant-nausea stuff on the ship and it did not help a bit.
On my next cruise, I had my doctor prescribe scopolomine patches. They stick behind your ear and last approximately 3 days. they were a lifesaver! I always ask for a couple of extra, though, because they would come off easily in the shower or in the water on the beach. Also, make sure you put them on a few hours before the ship leaves.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:23 PM

Thanks everyone I bought the scopolamine already but was thinking of having a backup just in case. Mainly I want the best possible anti-nauseant out there that doesn't have a drowsiness side-effect.. I have read mixed things about scopolamine. Some sites note that it does cause drowsiness where others say it doesn't. When you tried it, did you find it caused drowsiness?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:14 AM

Hi Rotiki, welcome to Cruise-Chat. Ginger and the Angostura bitters are the best natural cure. Green apples and saltines are good, too, but the bitters will honestly calm your tummy and eliminate the queasy feeling before you finish the glass. Which cruise are you going on? I hope you enjoy Princess as much as we do, they're our favorite line, so far. Best wishes for a fantastic cruise and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 11-20-2008, 10:11 AM

It didn't cause any drowsiness for me but I am sure it varies from person to person. However, I tend to throw up at the drop of a hat and this is the best choice for me personally.I have taken Zofran and Phernergan too. The Zofran made me very sleepy and the Phenergan made me sleep and very itchy.
Old 11-20-2008, 10:16 AM

One more thing on the nausea meds.
My doctor also gave me promethazine (in little syringe type applicators, not needles) I rubbed a small amount on the inside of my wrist and used that in conjuction with the transderm (scopolamine) just as an extra back-up. I tend to get sick on the little excursion boats pretty badly and this gave me some additional anti-nausea support.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:28 PM

Just a plug for the bitters. Going through chemo and taking all the junk they give you for nausea, it sometimes didn't work. I'll get a glass of sprite and some bitters and within 20 minutes I'm feeling better. Of course, the phernergan and the other stuff are already in my system.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:16 PM

what are bitters?

Closed Thread

Tags
anti, antinausea, antinauseants, cruise, effects, medicine, nausea, nauseant, nauseants, patch, princess, provide, scop, ship, side