Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Decided to give a brief critique of the Alaskan cruise on the Island Princess. We had a wonderful time. Thanks all for the info and suggestions. Had a great time at all the ports. Weather was actually sunny for 4 days straight. I was a little disappointed with the ship. Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful vessel and we had a good time. I guess I'm getting picky in my old age. The food was not as good as on previous cruises, especially the dining room. Service a little slow as well. I did love the buffet at breakfast. They made omelettes (spelling?) to order. I did something I said I would never do, paid extra to go the specialty restaurant, Sabatinis, it was worth it. The forward elevator did not go to most of the decks and was somewhat inconvenient. I know all this sounds trivial, but like I say, I'm getting picky in my old age. I must say the room was great. We stayed in a mini suite with balcony on Dolphin Deck. Cabin steward did a fantastic job. The best bed I've been in on a cruise ship. So far we have been on Carnival, RCI and Princess. No disrespect to Penny and FMattox, but I have to agree with SonnyV, I think RCI is the best. Let me agree with a friend of mine who enjoys cruising as much as we do. He says "the worst cruise beats 7 days on land." Amen. I'll hush for now and enjoy reading everybody's thoughts. Can't wait to go again. RickyB
Old 06-01-2007, 11:51 AM

Decided to give a brief critique of the Alaskan cruise on the Island Princess. We had a wonderful time. Thanks all for the info and suggestions. Had a great time at all the ports. Weather was actually sunny for 4 days straight. I was a little disappointed with the ship. Don't get me wrong, it was a beautiful vessel and we had a good time. I guess I'm getting picky in my old age. The food was not as good as on previous cruises, especially the dining room. Service a little slow as well. I did love the buffet at breakfast. They made omelettes (spelling?) to order. I did something I said I would never do, paid extra to go the specialty restaurant, Sabatinis, it was worth it. The forward elevator did not go to most of the decks and was somewhat inconvenient. I know all this sounds trivial, but like I say, I'm getting picky in my old age. I must say the room was great. We stayed in a mini suite with balcony on Dolphin Deck. Cabin steward did a fantastic job. The best bed I've been in on a cruise ship. So far we have been on Carnival, RCI and Princess. No disrespect to Penny and FMattox, but I have to agree with SonnyV, I think RCI is the best. Let me agree with a friend of mine who enjoys cruising as much as we do. He says "the worst cruise beats 7 days on land." Amen. I'll hush for now and enjoy reading everybody's thoughts. Can't wait to go again. RickyB
Old 06-01-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks for the review. Don't blame yourself or your age for the shortcomings of a cruise staff. It happens, even with the best of 'em.

Welcome back, Neil
Old 06-01-2007, 02:10 PM

Welcome back rbum, sorry your cruise wasn't that good. I haven't been on the Island, maybe you had the same chef we had on the Sun the time we weren't that impressed with the food. Anyway, glad the ports were fun. Get busy booking your next cruise with Royal, it helps get over the disembarkation blues. After all, you'll have to catch up to SonnyV on his cruise count on Royal Best wishes!!
Old 06-01-2007, 03:34 PM

Must have changed chefs since April because the food on that cruise was some of the best we have had. Sorry it wasn't for you. Many of the wait staff's contracts were ending with the last cruise in April. With new ones just having arrived it looks like that might have contributed to the slower service.

I agree the elevators can be confusing on some of the ships but once you know where they don't go that problem is solved.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 06-01-2007, 07:17 PM
rbum and BJS, I would have to agree with both of you on the food--how can I do that, you say? My wife and I found the food, both in the dining room and the Horizon Court to be inconsistent; some things were fabulous--others, mediocre. One example: prime rib. Had it twice; first time thin, dry overcooked--and the baked potato was barely warm; second time thick, juicy, one of the best I've ever had. Go figure!
Appetizers and soups always excellent; vegetables always done just right; meats and desserts, hit and miss.

Like rbum, the buffet was good for breakfast. But I went through the line once for lunch and my tray was still empty--nothing looked good; and I'm not hard to please. But some of the late night desserts were great.

Also agree about Sabatini's; we thought it was one of the highlights of the trip. I'm quite surprised by the two other posts I've read that said it wasn't worth it. Was less impressed with the Bayou Cafe; the filet was on a par with Morton's but everything else, especially the jambalaya, was just so-so.

The brugers and dogs were great but the pizza not so great.

So all in all it can be best described as inconsistent.

We both agreed we liked the food better on Sapphire and Diamond Princess. And the dining room staffs were much more cheerful. As BJS points out, being at the end of the contract might have been a factor--it shouldn't have been, but maybe it was. My two happiest days when I worked for them were the day I got on and the day I got off.

Rick

Closed Thread

Tags
island, princess, stateroom