Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2008, 12:32 PM

Hello, my travel partner and I are 1st-timers doing a 4-night cruise in May on the Caribbean Princess. I am coming from Seattle - she is coming from the midwest. So, I am wondering about the logistics (and suggestions?) of getting from the airport to the ship. Presumably, Princess lines will send us information about the port - right? I assume I will want to find a hotel for the day BEFORE the ship sails because I keep reading that most people are in line to board by noon! Do all Princess ships sail from Terminal #2? If you arrange your own flights can you hook-up with the Princess shuttle from the airport? I see hotels are pricey in the area but car rentals are standard rates so would having a car help? Any tips on local color or dining in Fort Lauderdale would be appreciated. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:56 PM

Hi Nubiwan, welcome to cruise-chat! The airport in Ft. Lauderdale is only a couple of miles from the pier. You'll be able to see your ship from the runway. Any airport hotel would be close. If you're coming in the day before you're wise and I think I'd just rent a car so I could get around but if you're staying close by you could also just use a cab if you're not going to venture out for sightseeing and such. Don't bother with cruiseline transportation. You'd have to get from airport to hotel, back to the airport to meet the shuttle. Not worth the time and trouble, just as easy to head to the ship.

Cheers, Neil
Old 02-15-2008, 01:54 PM

Hi Nubiwan, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There have been many posts written on Ft. Lauderdale. If you use your "find" feature in the upper left hand corner of your post and type in Ft. Lauderdale, it will pull up all the posts available for you to look through. Renting a car is an option, however, I'm not so sure you'd need one. The water taxi is a great way to see Ft. Lauderdale. If you stay at the Renaissance or Hyatt Pier 66, there is a stop on the intracoastal. You can ride it unlimited times for $10/pp per day (rates may have gone up-but that's what it was the last time we rode it). There is also good bus service. Any hotel on 17th Street Causeway will be near the port. Any hotel on A1A will be near the beach. The Pier 66 Bar and Grill is excellent for dinner. It is expensive, but everything you order, including appetizers will feed more than one. There is also a great restaurant at the last stop on the water taxi route, called Charlie's Crab. If you get a car or want to take a cab (which would be a little expensive), the Sea Watch is a great restaurant right on the ocean in north Lauderdale. They have an early bird special $29.95/pp for a 3 course meal. There are lots of neat little shops and boutiques on Las Olas Boulevard (two stops on the water taxi there). There are also some nice little cafe's and bistros on Las Olas. Le Cafe de Paris is one of my favorites.

Not all Princess ships leave from Pier 2. I would always advise coming in at least a day before sailing. If you want to take the Princess shuttle, you can stay at one of their hotels. They use the Marriott north (too far from anything without a car), and they use the Renaissance, and I can't remember the other one. From the Renaissance, you could literally walk across the street, but cab fare is less than $10. Hope this helps some.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:10 AM

Thanks - your info should be very helpful. I have decided against the car but it's good to know that we shouldn't have too much trouble getting around.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:11 PM

The water taxi is great for getting around to restaurants, shopping, and the beach.

A taxi from the airport to the ship or a hotel is about $15.00 and easy to find.

Most hotel have shuttles, but we like to get our own taxi for about $15.00 to the ship so we can set our oun time to leave. Most hotel shuttles have been a pain for us, to many people trying to use them at the same time.

We sailed on the Star and the Carribbean princess in January 2007 and they both docked at terminal #2 but we did see the coral and the sea princess at other terminals.

We alway go down a day early, just to be able to relax and not worry about missing the boat
Summit Feb 2002
Star Princess Jan 2007
Carribbean Princess Jan 2007
Emerald Princess Jan 2010

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 02-21-2008, 01:05 PM

Nubiwan,

If you stay at a hotel close to the airport many of them have a shuttle that will pick you up. Look for the "telephone board" in the baggage pick up area. Or you can ask your hotel if they have a shuttle when you book. I have found that several will pick up at the airport but most require you to arrange your own transportation to the ship. A private driver will set a pick up time at the hotel and most will arrange to take you to the airport at the end of the cruise. We paid $17 for a ride from the Sheraton to the ship in Jan.(fixed rate). I have the name and number of a great driver if you need it.

Enjoy Life & Cruising

Caseyg

Caseyg

Closed Thread

Tags
car, cruise, ft, las, lauderdale, olas, princess, ship