Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2006, 06:46 PM

We are booked for an Alaska land & cruise in July, 2007. Yes, I know this is a long way off.
But my husband is worrying about how cold it will be and what kind of clothes we should take.

In watching shows about cruising Alaska (on TRAVEL Channel) we sometimes see folks wearing shorts and in another segment they will be wearing heavy coats.

Has anyone been to AK in July or thereabouts? If so, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-17-2006, 08:21 PM

Hello. We did a 10 day Alaska cruise, that departed last July 7th. I had been checking the weather forecast, so we were prepared for the cold. It was cold most days. Occasional light rain. One day in particular, was so cold, we could not get warm enough. Now, we were sitting on the aft deck, facing the back of the ship, watching the inside passage go by. We didn't let the weather stop us. That prior year, my parents went in the begining of July, and they were very warm. So, my suggestion is to check the 10 day forecast on weather.com they have some Alaska cities listed. Pack your clothes according to the forecast. That is what we did. Hope this helps. Lil' Lori

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 07-31-2006, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sissymc:
We are booked for an Alaska land & cruise in July, 2007. Yes, I know this is a long way off.
But my husband is worrying about how cold it will be and what kind of clothes we should take.

In watching shows about cruising Alaska (on TRAVEL Channel) we sometimes see folks wearing shorts and in another segment they will be wearing heavy coats.

Has anyone been to AK in July or thereabouts? If so, any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jackets, Pants, wind breakers, and maybe a coat just in case. We went in April.

It does tend to drizzle everyday as well. It is beautiful though.

Meg

Caribbean Cruises and Sailing
Old 07-31-2006, 06:35 AM

Weather can be variable, even on the same day. When the ship stops close to a glacier, you're going to want to wear heavy clothing so you can be on an outer deck for a long time, to watch the glacier and other scenery. In port, it may be cooler in the morning and then warm up later. Best thing to do is bring clothing you can layer, such as short sleeve shirts, cotton sweater, sweatshirt, rainproof outer wear. Layering is also the most effective way to trap body heat and stay warm.

We cruised to Alaska in mid-July some years back, and loved it. You'll have enough light at 11pm to read a newspaper on an outer deck.

Sandy
Old 07-31-2006, 08:35 PM

The key to Alaksa is LAYERS.
Also go prepared for rain - bring at least an umbrella & poncho.

I have never been lucky enough to have the warm weather that some claim to have had on an Alaskan cruise. But, be prepared that you may get lucky. Check the weather before going.
Again, the layering helps too.

If you plan to do any tours on the glaciers be sure to dress warmly, as it is much colder up top.

Beautiful sites to see.
Enjoy!

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 08-01-2006, 05:37 AM

The people you saw on tv wearing shorts are prob natives...

I'm sure July is prob the warmest it gets there, so to them...

*i.e. North Americans will swim in 60 degree weather cause to them it's warm, where, us GA, FL people think it's too cold*

Caribbean Cruises and Sailing
Old 08-05-2006, 01:34 PM

I'm going on the Sun Princess Inner Passage cruise on Aug 20-28th.

I was curious what everyones recommendation was for what type of coat to take (light, heavy, wind breaker, etc) for both on the ship and during excursions. Coats take up a lot of luggage space, so I don't want to take more then is necessary.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, alaskian, bring, clothes, clothing, critic, criuse, cruies, cruise, cruises, july, outfits, princess, take, type