Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2007, 10:20 AM

I would appreciate if anyone can help me with a few questions... I'm wondering what the towel policy is on Princess? Can we bring pool towels off the ship for shore excursions?

Also do you know if there is an alarm clock in the stateroom? It wasn't specifically listed (with TV, hair dryer, etc) and I've stayed in hotels before that didn't have a clock. If there isn't, I definitely want to bring one, especially since we have an interior room so it will always be dark.

And finally I'm wondering about the formal nights. The Princess guidelines stated that "tuxedos, slack with dinner jackets, or suits" are appropriate for men, but a travel agent review I read said that Princess formal nights were heavy on tuxedos, beaded gowns, etc. Anyone know what the passengers actually wear? A lot of the men in my family don't even own a suit, but if most guys are in tuxes, I'd think they'd feel very underdressed in a sport coat.
Old 10-04-2007, 10:43 AM

Ok, found the answer to my towel question in V's post a couple weeks ago. So never mind on that one.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:31 AM

Hi mlsunshine, there is no need to bring an alarm clock, unless you just want to. You can always leave a wake-up call, it's fully automated, you dial the number, enter the time, and the phone will ring at that time. As for formal night, there will be everything from tuxedos and long gowns, to sports jackets and cocktail dresses. As long as they have a jacket and a shirt with a button down collar, tie, and dress pants they will be fine. You will see more tuxedos on Princess than other lines, but a jacket/slacks combination is fine. If they really don't want to dress for dinner on formal nights, you can always go to the buffet. But do try and make formal night, it's so nice. Also, it's a great opportunity for a good picture. The photographers do a great job, and the prices aren't that bad, unless you purchase every picture they take. Please let us know how you enjoyed the Grand, we're thinking about taking the Christmas/New Years cruise on her next year. Best wishes and have a wonderful time!
Old 10-04-2007, 03:48 PM

I think I'll pack a small one, just because I wake up a lot during the night and like to check how much longer I have to sleep. But that is a good idea to use the wake up call.

I'll let you know how we like it! I think I have literally spent more time researching cruises/ships/ports/excursions, before and after we booked, than we are going to actually spend on the cruise. We're going with a big group - me, dh, our 2 preschoolers; my in-laws, and my family...20 in all, and 3 generations. So I guess that's why I want to be as prepared as possible (since I'm doing the planning for all of us basically). We're counting down the days!
Old 10-04-2007, 04:31 PM

Let us know how the Grand is when you return. We'll be on it in Jan. The days of being very formal have long since past although many people still adhere to it. As long as you husband has a jacket of some type he'll be fine.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:21 PM

I would have liked to go in January, since it was cheaper, plus going the week before Christmas will make our holiday a little crazy, but my husband has a lot of "year end" work in Jan and couldn't get off. But oh well! Will let you know how we like it.

The more I think about it, the more questions I come up with... I've heard that suitcases store nicely under the bed, but is there somewhere to unpack your clothes? I know there's a small closet, but is there a dresser too?
Old 10-04-2007, 06:21 PM

There's plenty of room to store you suitcases either under the bed or in the closet. If it really gets tight you could always ask you room steward to stash them until you ready to pack. My wife usually takes all the draws for her things. You can always ask for more hangers if needed.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Formal nights: I, like members of your family, own one suit and have owned that one suit for 10 years +!!! I hemmed and hawed about participating in formal night, but of course my wife won out on that one. I actually enjoyed getting dressed up, so I had fun. I simply wore a reular ol' suit, no tux, and certainly didn't feel under dressed at all. So in my opinion, a tux is not a necessity. As for the pictures....Penny.....your right, not too bad....unless you purchase a lot of them...and or course, once again, my wife won out on that one!!! It got expensive!!! If I'm not mistaken, the larger ones were around $20.00 (if you bought 5 you got the sixth free) and the smaller ones were somewhere around $12.00. Have a great time!!
Old 10-05-2007, 06:04 AM

There are drawers on the side of the bed, like end tables. Then there is a dresser with drawers as well. The center drawer will have your hair dryer. The rooms, surprisingly, can accomodate a lot of "stuff". The suitcases will fit easily under your bed. Best wishes.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:02 AM

On our cruise in April on the Caribbean Princess the chef went all out on formal nights.
The most memorable meals of the cruise!

There is such a range of attire that you will not feel out of place. But you will feel like a millionaire for the night! You have paid for all this luxury - enjoy it!

A woman could wear a simple black skirt and shell top with an inexpensive pair of sparkly earrings for effect if you wish. Your husband will be fine with his sport jacket. Don't worry that everyone else will look like they are attending the Academy Awards. They won't.

Closed Thread

Tags
golden, policy, pool, princess, towel