Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 PM

Hi there yet another question for you princess fans we have just been on-line to reserve some of the excursions we fancied to find some have been cancelled and some have a wait list can anyone explain why cancelled and how the wait list works
many tbanks once again
Old 11-07-2007, 06:17 PM
There are many reasons an excursion can be cancelled, but the most common is lack of interest; if a tour dosen't have enough response to be profitable, or if there have been a lot of negative comments in the passenger comment form, they will drop it. Or occasionally some natural disaster; one of the tours we wanted to take in Hawaii last April had to be cancelled due to landslides.

The wait list just means the tour is fully booked and your name will be put on a list in the order the requests are made and if people cancel, you will move up the list. If the wait list becomes long enough they will sometimes add additional departures--but there is no gurantee of that. If additional departures are added you will be notified once onboard.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:36 PM

Of course this raises another a much bigger issue, especially heading into a possible recession in 2008: Would Princess Cruises ever cancel an entire cruise for lack of interest? I know that sounds absurd right now, but with such a rapid growth in the industry over the years, a recession could hit them hard. The airlines have been canceling low-booked flights for a few years now. What would prevent PRINCESS CRUISES from doing the same thing?? And knowing that PRINCESS CRUISES has the worst customer service of all the lines, I think they would bail out of any unprofitable commitment whether it be an excursion or an entire cruise. Beware of Princess in 2008.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:01 AM

Why would you assume it would only be Princess? I'm sure cruises will still be a popular vacation since it is the best value vacation offered. Fear and negativity are at the root of recessions/depressions. Let's try to be positive on this board and concentrate on cruising not the state of the economy.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:48 AM

Penny, I totally agree with you. This person has it in for Princess as you can tell by his comment from other tropics. We have just booked our April 2009 cruise on the Island thru the Pamana canal from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver.
Thanks,
Keith
Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 AM

It's apples and oranges to compare airlines that have multi flights a day to one destination, and a cruise ship that has one cruise a week.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:34 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The airlines have been canceling low-booked flights for a few years now. What would prevent PRINCESS CRUISES from doing the same thing??
Airlines cancel flights but still get the people who were on them to their destinations. They simply can't afford to waste fuel with two airplanes when all the people from both flights can fit on one airplane. It's called resource and yield management.

Cruise lines will drop prices to spur bookings for a cruise if needed, and I cannot see Princess or any other line canceling a cruise and leaving the ship tied up at the pier for a week. That costs them more than sailing with a half-empty ship. A cruise line profit margin isn't anywhere near as small as an airline's.

I have seen an 11-day cruise canceled and replaced with two shorter cruises - a 7 night and a 4 night. This proved to be more successful and the ship was sold out for both of the new cruises. History for this - the Song Of America in December 1993. We booked the 4-day which they sold for $200 per person outside cabin, with $100 air from ATL to SJU. It was an amazing deal. The cruise was from San Juan to Miami with one stop at St. Thomas.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:54 AM

Has the poster of the comment about cruises cancelling due to lack of bookings seen what's been happening with pricing and availability with all the cruiselines? Even with all the talk of doom and gloom and the stock market getting pounded the cruise industry keeps growing and more people than ever are cruising. Prices are climbing right now on last minute cruises and ships are selling out at record pace. Although you can never know what's coming in the future, the future of this industry looks very bright indeed.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM

The only time we have seen cruises cancelled due to the economy is when the entire line goes bankrupt. All the large mass-market lines practice a very sophisticated form of "yield managment." They carefully vary prices, on-board credits, upgrades, special air packages, etc. with the goal of filling their ships. After more than 35 years of active cruising we have learned to view recessions as a great opportunity to pick-up some cruise bargains.

Hank
Old 02-18-2008, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by familycruisin:
Of course this raises another a much bigger issue, especially heading into a possible recession in 2008: Would Princess Cruises ever cancel an entire cruise for lack of interest? I know that sounds absurd right now, but with such a rapid growth in the industry over the years, a recession could hit them hard. The airlines have been canceling low-booked flights for a few years now. What would prevent PRINCESS CRUISES from doing the same thing?? And knowing that PRINCESS CRUISES has the worst customer service of all the lines, I think they would bail out of any unprofitable commitment whether it be an excursion or an entire cruise. Beware of Princess in 2008.
Hi I am only new but I dont understand why so negative to Princess...yes there may be financial pain in some sectors but as another poster says there are also opportunities elsewhere. You guys in the US have it much better than us Aussies, but now a lot of your ships are positioning themselves over our way too. We are looking forward to have more competition for the cruise dollar in our part of the world and to see prices fall back to something more reasonable.

Closed Thread

Tags
canceled, cruise, due, excursions, interest, lack, pamana, princess