Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 PM

According to several cruise news sources an engine room fire broke out on the Royal Princess.

As per Princess Cruises;

News Article
6/18/2009
Royal Princess Update - 2:00pm PST

At approximately 8:10 pm local time, an engine room fire broke out aboard Royal Princess, as the ship was departing Port Said, Egypt.

The fire is now extinguished, and the ship is currently anchored approximately five miles off the coast of Port Said.

All passengers and crew have been accounted for, and passengers remain at their emergency stations as a precautionary measure until further notice. The ship is operating on emergency power and lighting.

Assessments of any damage will be made over the next several hours, at which time we will be able to provide further information about how the remainder of the cruise may be impacted.

We will continue to provide updates on a regular basis.

Royal Princess is carrying 733 passengers and 393 crew. The ship is on the fifth day of a 12-day Holy Land sailing between Civitavecchia and Athens.

Phone numbers have been established for inquiries from family of passengers and crew (only please) currently onboard Royal Princess:

For inquiries about family: 800-693-7222
For inquiries about crew members: 661-753-2804

Dwayne
Old 06-18-2009, 10:40 PM

Update!

News Article
6/18/2009
Royal Princess Update - 6:00pm PST

In order to fully assess the impact of the engine fire that occurred earlier this evening, we plan to bring Royal Princess back into Port Said, Egypt tomorrow.

The assessment process includes flying various technical experts and regulatory authorities to the ship for a complete inspection, and they should be arriving onboard by tomorrow evening. So while our own assessment will occur throughout the day tomorrow, we expect the full assessment to be complete on Saturday. This means Royal Princess will be spending Friday and Saturday in Port Said.

Our ship's crew, local representatives ashore and the Princess Care Team, who are currently en route to the ship, will be doing their best to make passengers comfortable during this time, and it is also our intention to make tours available for passengers.

Once the assessment is complete we will have an understanding of how the remainder of the cruise, or any future sailing, will be affected, and also what compensation we will be offering to passengers.

We understand this is a disappointing development, and we apologize for the disruption to our passengers' cruise. We will be keeping our passengers fully informed throughout this process and we deeply appreciate their patience and understanding.

We will continue to provide regular updates on our web site.

For US press inquiries:
Julie Benson
661 753 1530

For UK press inquiries:
Michele Andjel
77 3073 2072

Dwayne
Old 06-19-2009, 05:39 AM

That's horrible, thank the Lord no one was injured, though. I really liked the Royal, it was just what a cruise ship used to be like. Small, intimate, elegant, and a great crew. I sure hope they can make repairs and get back under way. I also hope Princess will do the right thing by their passengers.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:38 AM

I'm glad that no one was injured.I do hope repairs don't take too long. As you know, Penny I'm scheduled to sail her on the 19th of July.

FC
Old 06-20-2009, 04:14 PM
My two nieces cruised on the Royal last year and loved her and had just convinced me to plan a cruise on her - so much for that idea!

BillyBuzzy
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
I also hope Princess will do the right thing by their passengers.
From some news sources I've heard they are! Full fare refunds with flights, transfers, and hotel accommodations. Plus a 25% credit for a future cruise.

Princess has not updated their news link at this time though, so I can't confirm this.

Dwayne
Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 AM

That's great news, Dwayne! Fredc, I'm sure Princess won't disappoint you. I thought you were already on board.
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Dwayne - Thank You for the news update but I still won't be booking on her - instead I've decided to book the RCCL Allure for late 2011 with my nieces!

BillyBuzzy
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Billybuzzy, that's going from tiny to huge. The Royal is like the ships of the past, easy to get around, great crew, small but elegant. The Allure is HUGE
Old 06-22-2009, 10:27 AM
penny - I know and my nieces had just about talked me into it but the engineroom fire discouraged them and we all agreed to do the "big" thing. I'll be doing some big ones in the next two years - I've got staterooms booked on the CCL Dream, the NCL Epic and now the RCCL Allure!

Don't panic for me -I've got a few smaller ships in between the giants on my schedule. I did promise my No.1 before she passed away in April to keep on cruisin' - I am keeping to our plans!

BillyBuzzy

Closed Thread

Tags
2009, cruise, cruises, egypt, engine, engines, fire, july, june, month, port, princess, room, royal, ship