Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Cruises from Florida?? (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/14476-cruises-florida.html)

adibear620 07-24-2008 07:50 PM

Why aren't there any cruises from Florida over the summers? I live in Florida and Princess is my number one choice for cruises, but they don't have anything to offer. It's dissapointing...

f-mattox 07-24-2008 08:20 PM

Hello adibear620, and welcome to Cruise-Chat;

I had never really thought about that until I read your post; but I see what you mean: most of the fleet is in Europe or Alaska. The only ship in the Caribbean is sailing from New York.

As for why, well the demand for Alaska Cruises is huge and I guess they just send the ships where there is the most demand. But you're not alone. I live in Southern California, and there is nothing going on here in the Summer either. But then Summer is not my favorite time to cruise.

So maybe it's time for you to try Alaska or the Mediterranean . . .unless you hate flying as much as I do.

Rick

adibear620 07-24-2008 08:23 PM

Thanks for the reply. It's not so much that I don't like flying, it's the cost of the airfare. I have been on several cruises to different places, and I would rather just stay here and do the caribbean instead of the extra cost of flying. It kind of stinks for us teachers who like to cruise on Princess. summer is the best time for me to go, but I can't afford to go else where. =(

f-mattox 07-24-2008 08:57 PM

I kind of thought you might be a teacher, or some other profession that restricted you to summer travel.

I'm a long-time Princess fan also (over 30 years) but I recently took a cruise on Holland America because of its itinerary and was very favorably impressed. I know their reputation as the "old folks" cruiseline, but the average age was younger than some Princess cruises on which I've been.

I just throw this out there as something you might want to consider.

Rick

Dwayne 07-24-2008 09:11 PM

Hi adibear620, and Welcome to Cruise-Chat!

I didn't notice that either until you posted about it. I haven't sailed on Princess yet, but am considering it. I would prefer to start out with a Caribbean itinerary.

Welcome aboard,

Dwayne

f-mattox 07-24-2008 09:12 PM

Well, I had good intentions; but I just checked the HAL website and they don't sail out of Florida from May through September either. Same situation--most of the fleet is in Europe or Alaska.

I don't have any first-hand experience with any other lines, so I'll stop here. But a lot of seasoned cruisers on this site love RCI and Carnival, so I encourage you to read further.

Rick

adibear620 07-25-2008 06:13 AM

I have also been on RCI and Carnival, but it's just not the same to me. I will probably end up doing Carnival over the summers if Princess keeps this up. I would much rather do Princess though. Or I might just have to stick to Spring Break.

RichC 07-25-2008 03:50 PM

We're from Fl also & I never took notice about that. Strange..I suppose there's more money to be made elsewhere.

JIM2TAK 07-26-2008 02:14 PM

NCL also came back to FL this year.

TrvlPro 07-26-2008 02:30 PM

Alaska trumps all other destinations for PCL and HAL from May to Sept. They both pull their ships from FL and CA for the entire season. Alaska is in such high demand and such a short season they throw everything they have at the market. The cruise/tours are among their most profitable offerings. They even both pull their ships off the 2 week Hawaii sailings during this time and those are both popular and profitable. With lines building new ships yearly and the the Alaska market at capacity for new ships, there may be more choices for summer destinations in years to come.

Cheers, Neil