Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
Administrator

You are from Arizona wanting to cruise to Alaska. The passport rules don't apply yet for U.S. citizens. Even a driver's license and certified birth certificate will work.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:29 PM

We would be flying into Vancouver though. That is where the problem lies! But if you know that it isn't mandatory yet, please let me know where to get that info. It's a lot of money to waste, if they don't let us in! I need hard facts before I'll finalize.
Thanks,
Mary
Old 05-13-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

An excerpt from the U.S. State Department website:

"Entry into Canada is solely determined by Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) officials in accordance with Canadian law, see http://www.cbsa.gc.ca for details. Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada must carry both proof of citizenship and identity. A valid U.S. passport or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens. If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driverís License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport. Children under sixteen need only present proof of U.S. citizenship."

I note that the Princess website is not up-to-date with the passport requirements for U.S. Citizens traveling in the western hemisphere. It shows the summer of 2008 for implementation of the WHTI, but this has been pushed off into 2009.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:47 PM
This is from the most recent Cruise Answer Book:

"Note that if your cruise requires air travel between the U.S. and the Americas, Canada, the Caribbean, Bermuda or Mexico, you will be required to present a passport when returning to the U.S.by air." So while getting into Canada might not be a problem, you will need a passport when you return from Anchorage.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Rick makes a good point. While the passport requirement for sea travel is on the back burner, if something happens and you have to fly home from another country then the passport is required.

However, you are going to Alaska. If something happened in Canada it wouldn't be too hard to drive to the border and then fly home from a U.S. airport.

I've never understood why some countries have the "6 month" rule for valid passports. What point is there to expiration dates?
Old 05-13-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
So while getting into Canada might not be a problem, you will need a passport when you return from Anchorage.
Not so sure about that. They would simply be traveling from one U.S. state to another one.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Dave, wouldn't she need a Passport anyway flying back from Anchorage since she had been to Canada?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Administrator

No. Entry into the U.S. would be accomplished at the pier in Whittier - which under current rules does not require a passport. She would then be no different than any other U.S. citizen in Alaska who wanted to fly from Alaska to another state. It is no different than someone currently going to Nassau on a cruise and then returning to Miami.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:09 PM
Gotcha!

Boy, if this dosen't make the case for getting a passport and keeping it current, nothing will.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Administrator

It is confusing as hell and frankly I am not sure what the rules are one day to the next.

It would be helpful if U.S. passports didn't have an arbitrary expiration date but instead a floating one. In other words, I'd like to be able to update it when it is convenient for me and then from that date - whenever it is - my passport was good for another 10 years. I believe the U.K. does it this way.

Closed Thread

Tags
aft, alaska, alaskan, balconies, balcony, cabins, caribe, covered, cruise, cruisers, deck, dolphin, nude, princess, sapphire, ships, suite, uncovered