Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 08:28 AM

We leave for the Alaskan Princess Land/Cruise tour in just 16 days (oh, but who is counting) and am now in the process of getting the clothes out to pack. Due to the ever increasing cost of checking in a suitcase on the airlines and then only being able to have a small suitcase for the land portion (due to space on the train and bus)I was wondering during the evening meal (we are doing the Anytime seating) if it is not a formal night, will jeans be allowed in the dining room? I have read many a time where the Alaska cruising is a lot more relaxed with the dressing due to the weather and nature of the tour.

I know that a pair of nice slacks, a couple of tops to interchange and shoes do not take up a lot of room, but being limited on space I am trying to use it wisely. I have the dress for formal night - now I have to bring clothes for non formal nights.

I hope that my question is clear and appreciate feedback from those that have gone prior to us.

Love the cruise-chat site - always full of good information.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 AM

LizzyJane,

We are also going on the Alaska cruise tour, Aug. 16th. I have a couple of thoughts for you regarding the packing of clothing.

I have just re-read the Princess luggage instructions for the 'land tour' and it permits the small carry on that your descibes AND "you are allowed one piece of "Travel with Me" baggage PER person. This bag is picked up from your room and sent directly to the next overnight location. This information in in the Alaska Cruise Tour Answer Book, pages 22-23.

So, you will have the small bag with you on the train or bus and the larger suitcase will be sent to the next hotel location, but not available while on the train or bus.

You can pack a little more. One suitcase PER person.

As far at the jeans on non formal nights I am sure you will get other answers from other crusiers. We have made a choice this cuise not to take any formal wear. On past cruises we have had talemates that would arrive in a jacket and open collar shirt for formal night and the lady in a blouse and pants and never a negative word was said.

I believe it is how comfortable YOU feel in the enviornment of the formal evening. We are going smart causal this cruise.

I don't think Princess staff will stop you from going into the restaurants in jeans. The fashion in the general public now is a blazer with jeans. Again, I think it is how comfortable you feel in the jeans. If you are worried that everyone is saying, "oh look at the lady in jeans" and it bothers you wear slacks. If not, be comfortable and wear jeans.

No holes or worn out knees please. Ha!

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-08-2008, 11:10 AM

LizzyJane, We were on the Dawn Princess to Alaska in June & there were dozens of people wearing jeans at diner on non formal nights. They weren't even what I would call dress jeans but just regular old blue jeans. You certainly wouldn't feel out of place.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:54 AM

Thank you for the information - it makes the packing soooooo much easier.

Lizzyjane
Old 08-08-2008, 02:00 PM
The only thing I have ever seen specifically excluded from the dining room is shorts at dinner; and you don't see many of them in Alaska.

Closed Thread

Tags
dinner, jeans, kelalbgeorgia, princess