Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2007, 04:14 PM

No problem, just takes seconds to pull them up. Believe it or not a number of the May 08 cruise tours are already sold out. It's good that you're planning this far ahead, I was shocked to see how many dates and packages are already gone.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-25-2007, 05:25 PM

I think it will be a decision between the Coral and Island. The Coral cruise is 5/19 so we would start the land tour on 5/15, which is a good date for us. The Island and Sapphire are a week later. Have to have a heavy discussion with my better half and make a decision.

Have a nice evening!

Nadine
Old 06-26-2007, 12:11 PM

NadineM, we have recently sailed for two weeks on the Coral Princess to Alaska (at the end of May, beginning of June). We have been on most Princess ships, excluding the Diamond & Sapphire, and we really enjoyed the Coral. There was lots of outside deck space for glacier viewing and, when cold, we always found a window seat inside to enjoy the view. We liked the small dance floor & band in the Bayou Restaurant which you do not get on other ships. On the Lido deck, the buffet is forward not aft which turned us around a bit. The atrium was much smaller so you did not get such a sense of grand scale during the Captain's Welcome party but it was still lots of fun and the drinks flowed. The promenade deck goes all the way around the ship which is nice. Otherwise, the bars and restaurants were pretty much the same as other ships. I'm sure you'll enjoy the Coral! Happy cruising.
Old 06-26-2007, 02:46 PM

Thank you Joyceh! Glad to hear the nice review because I am sure that will be our choice. Just have to make the deposit tomorrow. We will be on the Coral, leaving 5/15/08. We got a cabin on the "bump out" so that will be different for us.

We are excited now that the decision is made. Next decision is whether we want to fly home from Vancouver or Seattle. Either way, we plan to have a one night post cruise package.

Thank you all for your help and support during these past 6 weeks!

Nadine
Old 07-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Nadine, I'm so glad to hear your recovery is going well and you are ready to go again. Sorry I missed your first post--I left two days prior--and just returned this morning.

I have not been on Coral Princess; but as you know, was recently on Island Princess. joyceh makes some very good points--in particular about the abundance of open deck space and the availability of good viewing areas inside.

I don't like having the buffet all the way forward, but for good viewing in a nice atmosphere, it is ideal.

I had a couple of issues with the buffet food and the dining room staff on Island Princess, but I think they were unique to Island Princess as I have been on many Princess ships and never had these issues before. I'm sure they will be resolved by the time I go again next April.

I said in a post not long before I left that, all things being equal, I would take Sapphire Princess over Island Princess. I'm sorry I can't remember where the post is, but another poster (maybe BJS) took exception to that, and had good reasons for the different view. So it all comes down to individual preferences. And for me, as with you, a better itinerary could certainly tip the balance to another ship.

I would not hesitate to travel on or recommend any Princess ship--all have their pluses and their minuses.

I'm sure you will have a great cruise on Coral Princess.
You can put Sapphire or Diamond on your radar for a future cruise. And I'm sure Penny will have great things to say about Emerald Princess.

Anyway, I'm really glad to hear you are making plans again.

Rick
Old 07-05-2007, 02:28 AM

Nadine, so lucky to re-book on another Alaskan cruise! That's definitely on our next cruise to take next year.
I've been on the Coral, Diamond and Sapphire. I actually enjoyed being on the Coral than the later two- maybe because we had more sea days and so the passengers are less uptight than the 7 or 10 day runs to Mexico. I loved how the buffet was set up at the Coral vs the Diamond and Sapphire or Golden. They made my eggs as I wanted them each morning!
I think other than the smaller ship overall, I agree with f-mattox that every ship with Princess have their pros and cons. I'm hoping I could get on the Coral for the Alaska run, if not I heard good things about the Dawn as well.
2005 Coral Princess 21d Panama Canal
2004 Sapphire Princess 10d Mexican Riviera
Old 07-05-2007, 05:23 PM
HeyEliza, nice to hear from someone who has been on some of the same ships I have.

My wife and I are doing the Panama Canal cruise on Island Princess (only 15 days--Ft. Lauderdale to L.A.). Can you give me any suggestions on shore excursions--it's always nice to get tips from someone who has actually been there.

Any ideas would be appreciated; and maybe I can do the same for you sometime.

Rick
Old 07-06-2007, 07:19 AM

Nadine, glad to hear you are already booking your cruise. I felt so bad when I read about your accident. We were on Island Princess the week before you were to arrive. We had a good cruise, but I agree with f-mattox. The buffet wasn't exactly what I was expecting and we also had a few issues with the dining room. Nothing major, but not quite the service we have gotten used to on RCCL. Maybe the Coral will work out better. We'll probably go back to RCCL for future cruises. Just a personal preference.

If we go back to Alaska, I would definately want to do the land tour as well. The glaciers are the most beautiful sights I've ever seen. Totally breath-taking. Also, the 18 hours of daylight every day was worth the trip in itself! What an experience.

Lanie
Old 07-06-2007, 07:59 AM
LanieB, nice to hear from you. Very interesting that we should both have the same issues. Island Princess better get its act together--this is not the place they want to be getting negative comments.

I said in another thread that I had the feeling something was going on behind the scenes--some sort of morale issue in the food and beverage department, because that was certainly not the norm in my long experience with Princess. I would still recommend Princess and hopefully, by next April when I sail again, Island Princess will be back on track.

Rick
Old 07-06-2007, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I said in another thread that I had the feeling something was going on behind the scenes--some sort of morale issue in the food and beverage department, because that was certainly not the norm in my long experience with Princess.
Rick, I was wondering how long it would take for the feedback I've been getting for over 6 months now to filter it's way into the forum. I have many many long term Princess loyals as clients, my parents among them. Yours and Lanie's experiences are not as isolated as you may think. Certainly not all reports but an alarming number have been coming not from new passengers who didn't have expectations. The long term folks are feeling and voicing concerns pretty regularly. Those new to PCL still are thrilled, the loyals seem to be seeing a change and not for the better. I'm wondering what has changed, maybe managment when Carn Corp took over? I hope things return to the glorious reviews of old, and soon.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
bump, deck, e631, emerald, island, princess