Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 12:57 AM

Hi we have just booked our first cruise to Hawaii over xmas and new year on the golden princess - we are unsure whether to choose fixed dining on a table of six or anytime dining - we have an 11 year old daughter with us - do you dine in the same restaurant as the fixed dining - can you change to fixed on board - any suggestions
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Hello CNR, and welcome to Cruise-Chat; there are four main dining rooms; one for Traditional First and Second Seating and three for Anytime. You can change from Traditional to Anytime once onboard, but not the other way around. Anytime has become much more popular than Traditional; hence, the three dining rooms devoted to it. But this means there is always a waitlist for Traditional, especially First Seating.

As to which is better, you will find as many opinions on that as there are members here. I prefer Traditional Second Seating; I love the quiet late afternoon hours around the pools while so many are getting ready for dinner. And I never have to worry about rushing back from a port or a shore excursion for First Seating. I also like having the same waiter and tablemates every night. There is a bonding that you don't get when you dine with different people every night. And Second Seating has always seemed less rushed, more relaxed. Everyone at First Seating knows the room has to be cleared and reset for the next seating.

But I have done Anytime and enjoy that too. If you are willing to share a table you usually can go right in. People that have to wait usually have requested a particular size table and one is not always immediately available. And Anytime gives you much more flexifility; you dine when and with whom you wish.

With a young daughter, you may wish to choose Traditional First Seating or Anytime. Also, people that really enjoy the night-life like to dine earlier.

My suggestion would be to choose Traditional First Seating; then if it dosen't feel right for you, you can move to Anytime.

Eaither way, what a wonderful way to spend the Holidays. Have a great cruise.

Rick
Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 AM

I agree with Rick about choosing the traditional first seating with your young daughter. In my opinion its a plus to have the same waiter every night

Sonny
Old 07-29-2009, 10:01 AM

Hello CNR
I know you asked this question a week and a half ago but I thought you might like a little more feedback!
I have taken 2 cruises with Princess so far and have just booked my third one this week. I much prefer the Anytime dining because this venue allows you to eat when and if you want to and there is no set time to be in a dining room. Sometimes I like to take my breakfast out to a table on the deck or take my dinner back to my balcony. And sometimes I need a nap when I get back on board after going on a long excursion, so dinner can wait! I also like to stroll the buffet rather than order off of a set menu.
Whichever way you go, you will enjoy the food. It is absolutely fabulous...hot and fresh.
So enjoy your cruise.

Closed Thread

Tags
anytime, carnival, changing, cruise, dining, eat, fixed, golden, line, menu, order, princess, reviews, seating, timevs