Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 12:36 PM

We are taking the voyage of the glaciers northbound to Alaska. Are there any cabin locations that should be avoided(i.e. such as next to the engine room)? We know that the rooms are of variable sizes. Are there any values that are better than others?

We are thinking of departing late August, early September. Any clothing advice?
Old 01-13-2008, 12:51 PM

Welcome to Cruise-Chat! The lowest decks can have a higher probability of noise or vibration from engine room and props but some people say it works like white noise and helps 'em sleep, others hate it. Don't get a cabin under the disco, galley or buffet if you can avoid it. Cabins directly in front of the elevator corridor can be an issue for some. Choosing ideal placement will cost you more so determine if it's worth the diff. Value is hard to define in this industry as some would not sail certain ships or lines at any price and others go with the best rates available and consider best price the best value. Get a good T/A who knows the cruising end of the industry well and get advice if you're unfamilliar with the ships or industry. Most important have a great vacation!

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Hello monsi, and welcom to cruise-chat;

Neil's advice is excellent. A good travel agent is your best source of information--one who knows cruising.

Let me just say, I have been on both clases of ships doing the Voyage of the Glaciers, and they are designed in such a way that there are virtually no bad cabins. You might want to avoid inside cabins on Plaza and Emerald decks as they are either below or above showrooms; but there are only a handful of these cabins; and even so, I have never heard anybody complain about noise--not even near elevator foyers.

So I think your best choice for value would be a gurantee booking in the least expensive catagory--and also your best chance for an upgrade.

Whichever way you go, have a wonderful cruise.

Rick
Old 01-15-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
So I think your best choice for value would be a gurantee booking in the least expensive catagory--and also your best chance for an upgrade.
I love Ricks advice. I'm a big proponent of booking Guarantees. They're not the right choice for everyone but they're always priced right and give you the posibility of being surprised by an upgrade. I've been seeing more and higher upgrades recently than in the past. Seems every day I get a call from someone thanking me for an upgrade I had nothing to do with other than the recommendation to save a few bucks and take the Gty.

Cheers, Neil
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM

A cabin OVER an entertainment venue can be as bad as one that is under it. I know this from experience, having been over the Wheelhouse Bar on the Dawn, and having the loud music and vibration drive us crazy. Just choose a cabin that has cabins over it and under it.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:12 PM
Very true. The Sun Class ships, which include Sun, Sea and Dawn Princess, have considerably more cabins above and below lounges and showrooms than the larger ships. Follow SD Cruiser's advice: book a cabin with cabins above and below it on the Sun Class ships.

Closed Thread