Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2002, 10:24 AM

New to this list. Have cruised often on Princess, but last cruise was 18 mos ago. I'm going on Royal Princess next month and see in the fine print that the line now has a policy of confiscating liquor brought on board, and holding it to the end of the cruise. This is outrageous and I've never seen it before on any line. Is it being enforced? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:24 AM

New to this list. Have cruised often on Princess, but last cruise was 18 mos ago. I'm going on Royal Princess next month and see in the fine print that the line now has a policy of confiscating liquor brought on board, and holding it to the end of the cruise. This is outrageous and I've never seen it before on any line. Is it being enforced? Thanks.
Old 08-22-2002, 11:51 AM

Actually, Ted, most cruise lines allow themselves that option. Depends on the sailing, the personnel and perhaps some "security" factors as to how much they are enforcing it. These days, as more ships are added and cruise lines have to cut prices to fill their ships, like everyone else they are "bottom-lining it." If you bring your own booze on board, you will therefore not be buying theirs (at their markup, of course), so this is one way they can shore up their sagging profit margins. Sad but true. Maybe if anyone else out there has been on Princess, especially Royal P., recently, they might know if this is actually being enforced as strictly as it sounds.
Karen [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 08-26-2002, 05:45 AM

My husband and I are leaving 9/1 on the Grand - our first cruise. We heard about the no liquor policy, but also heard that wine is allowed to be brought on board. Has anyone had any experience with this?
thanks
Old 09-04-2002, 03:46 PM

I can confirm the wine policy. We did a Carribean cruise on the Grand 6/16/02 and the signs were posted no liquor allowed except wine. I brought about 6 bottles of wine on board without any problems.
Old 09-08-2002, 08:50 PM

We took Grand Princess back in August. Sure enough, they did confiscate a very small bottle of tequila from my carry-on. It was returned to me the night before returning to FL.
Old 09-12-2002, 02:20 PM
Banned

WE WERE ON THE DAWN PRINCESS OCT 2001. OUR CRUISE WAS THE FIRST ONE THAT THE LIQUOR POLICY WAS ENFORCE. WE WERE ABLE TO SNEAK SOME BOOZE AND BEER ON IN OUR CARRY ONS THE FIRST TIME WE BOARDED THE SHIP. AFTER THAT EVERY BAG AND CARRY ON WAS SEARCHED EVERY TIME YOU BOARDED. IF YOU HAD ANY ALCOHOL IT WAS CONFISCATED AND RETURNED AT THE END OF YOU TRIP. YOU CAN BRING ON SOFT DRINKS AND WATER. ALSO DO NOT BE AS DUMB AS THE ONE PERSON I READ ABOUT THAT PUT HIS BOXED LIQUOR OUTSIDE HIS CABIN ON THE LAST NIGHT TO BE PICKED UP WITH HIS LUGGAGE. NEEDLESS TO SAY HE NEVER SEEN IT AGAIN.
Old 12-23-2002, 11:41 AM

Hi,
Old 12-23-2002, 11:46 AM

Sorry, wrong button
We sailed on Royal from Buenos Aires to Santiago last January and had one of the best cruises ever. But to answer your question, we had no problem with carrying wine on board. In fact we made a big deal of it. I found that for a bottle of Rosemount Chardonnay they were asking $40.00 USD on board - I pay $9.00 AUD so go figure. So BYO was high on our list. We were tasting some of the best Chilean/Sth American wine all the way thru. It was like a personal wine tasting each night. By the time we were 1/2 way thru cruise, other psgrs were following our lead. They did charge us a $10.00 corkage, but still way ahead. I certainly do hope that they continue to allow this as it makes the whole land experience a little better. Especially for us who love our wine.
Regard,
Mich
Old 12-30-2002, 10:47 PM

We normally bring a few bottles of rum, vodka on board with us (they are sealed, plastic bottles) in the large suitcases that get sent thru via the airline. We usually bring on our large ''sipping'' bottles that we'll make our drinks in, using the orange juice, lemonade, fruit punch that is available at breakfast in the mornings. When you're in port and want to stock up on a local bottle, just bring your large sipping bottles with you and fill them with the local libation (tequila in Cozumel - rum in St. Thomas). We still enjoy the custom drinks on board, but can make our own when and if we choose to....

Closed Thread

Tags
america, bringing, caribbean, celebrity, confesicate, confiscate, confiscated, constellation, cruise, cruises, free, holland, liquor, policy, princess, royal, suite