Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Only three weeks until our Alaska cruise/land tour! I have a couple of quick questions regarding luggage:

1. We will arrive in Anchorage a day early. Will all of our luggage accompany us to the hotel; or will the "Join Me Onboard Ship" luggage be picked up by Princess at the airport and taken directly to storage? (Our land tour is first and then the cruise)

2. The tags we have received to designate "Take Me With You" or "Join Me Onboard" don't seem real sturdy. The brochure recommends placing them on the luggage before leaving home, but couldn't that be done at the Anchorage airport before handing them over to Princess?

I asked our friends who went on the cruise last year how this was handled and they couldn't remember. It's heck to get old!

Thanks for your help.

Nadine
Old 04-22-2008, 04:36 PM

We will take the similar cruise like yours in June. Somewhere I read that the tour bus or train can not carry all the luggages during the land tour. That is why Princess ask you to pack separately. One bag for the land and one to join you later. Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:41 PM

By the way, I suggest that you separate your luggages at home so no matter where you need to be apart with them, you will be ready. For the second question, I cannot think of any reason why you cannot put the tags on until you get there. Just have your tags handy so you can put them on whenever is needed.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:31 PM

You should put your tags on the luggage before you leave home. If the airline loses your luggage and you've already started your land tour, then the luggage has a better chance of getting sent to the ship.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:55 PM

Thank you csnj1w and Cruise Fanatic for the advice! My brain is getting fried from thinking of all these things. Isn't that part of the fun of cruising--the preparations? This last couple of weeks will be cruise-focused. I love it!

Nadine
Old 04-24-2008, 02:51 AM

If you cant take ALL your luggage onto the train, what happens to those people's luggage who do the cruise first then the land tour, as we will be doing in August/September. Our cruise/tour is the northbound Vancouver to Whitter and then on to Fairbanks by train. We are also extending our stay in Alaska for an extra 10 days with a self drive leg. As we will be flying from Australia to Vancouver (arriving 3 days prior to our cruise)we will be having to pack for approx 26 days/nights so there will not be any time when we will be able to get by without our luggage. I've learned to pack conservatively, but even so we will have at least 1 large bag each,1 carry-on bag each as well as a backpack with my photography equipment and a folding tripod. Our luggage all falls within the airlines limits, but what about the limits on the train. Any Answers would be appreciated.
Nadine M please tell us all about you cruise/tour experiences when you get back, I am sure you will have a great time and I can't wait to hear about it.
Old 04-25-2008, 05:07 PM

Hi Narrell! I can't answer your questions, but I am sure someone on the board can. I am impressed that you can travel for 26 days and only have one large bag each. We will end up with two large suitcases apiece, I'm sure!

I will be glad to write when I get back. Enjoy your cruise preparations!

Nadine
Old 04-25-2008, 05:46 PM

Put the tags on before you leave home. Princess looks for those tags because when you arrive if you are on a cruise tour, then Princess takes your bags off the luggage belt for you along with the other princess passengers. Then, after they take off all the bags (while you check in at Princess desk), they will assemble them in rows with aisles between them. Then, you will take hotel tags you receive when you arrive and one person from your party will go to the luggage and put those tags on. It is done in a very very orderly fashion. We were quite impressed. Regarding the train, there is very little room for storage of bags on the train, so you should be prepared to take just what you need for the train ride with you. The rest is taken from your room that morning as I recall and rides the train with you. If you are staying at a hotel in Fairbanks the first night or at Denali, all your luggage can go with you. If, for some reason, you need more luggage with you (I have to travel with breathing machine for instance), the Princess people at arrival can give you additional "goes with me" tags.

Good luck and have fun. Alaska is amazing with a capital A!
Old 04-25-2008, 06:35 PM
If the tags are too flimsy, put clear packing tape on both sides....makes them very strong and less chance of them tearing....Happy cruising...You will love Alaska...

Bob E
Old 04-26-2008, 08:38 AM

Waterart, thank you for the great clarification. I feel more relaxed now that I know what will happen when.

Berick1234, the tag idea is helpful, too. Yesterday we laminated my Mom's luggage tags, but I don't have any laminate at home so I will try the clear packing tape. Should work fine.

Thank you all for your help!

Nadine

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, bag, check, cruise, cruises, early, land, landcruise, luggage, pack, portion, princess, reviews, tour, vancouver