Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2007, 06:25 AM
I have been reading about the Crown Princess going out of San Juan and says it is a 2006 ship, but then read another place it was a 1990 ship. Can anyone tell me how old the ship is? Maybe something about that cruise out of San Juan...
2004 Esctasy CATALINA-MEXIC0
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
2006 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2007 Pride MEXICAN RIVIERA
2008 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2008 Destiny SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN
2009 Liberty EASTERN CARIBBEAN
2010 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2011 Paradise CATALINA-MEXICO
2012 Crown Princess EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN
Old 02-18-2007, 06:34 AM
Administrator

Actually, both are correct -- as they refer to two ships of the same name. One has since been retired from the Princess fleet.

The Crown Princess currently sailing was built in 2006.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:34 AM
And the Regal Princess, sister to the first Crown Princess, is about to leave the fleet also; a real shame because they are unique and very wonderful ships.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:26 AM
Thanks for that. Now second question before choice of destination is made. A few years back we went to the Bahamas on a cruise and was just blown away from the absolutely beautiful turquoise waters, sparkly white sand, blue skys and white puffy clouds. We knew then we wanted to go back decided but we wanted more to see than Freeport and Nasau. In looking at Southern Caribben in St Thomas etc. on a 7 day cruise the waters are clear but they don't have that turquoise look. Is it and I'm just looking at different pictures that don't show it or is their a special area that host those beautiful waters? I know Cancun did also. Help in this would be helpful cause I sure would be disapointed not to see it beings it is the main reason to return.
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 02-18-2007, 10:42 AM

Baby doll, I know what you mean about the beautiful turquoise waters of the Bahamas! We've been going there for over 25 years and have stayed on 8 of the out islands. The best way to see the Bahamas is by air and then hotel, or rent a house, which we have done on many occassions. As far as cruising the Caribbean, which we've done over a dozen times, there are many beautiful beaches but the water does not compare. The only other really spectacular water, in my opinion, is in the Tobago Cays which a few cruise ships go to. We've done this on a private sail boat. If you're really set on Bahamaian beaches, then go back. The Bahamas never dissapoints. If you'd like some other island experiences, a cruise ship is the best way to go to sample what is out there. Each island is beautiful and unique in its own way. Hope this helps. Happy sailing.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:20 PM
That was helpful Joy. If we choose to cruise then what islands would be the closest to that water? Tobago Cays is not on the cruise ship list is it? I guess we need to rethink our vacation plans cause my dream is to witness those waters again. I really thought they had put food coloring in the water. Just unreal and now looking at the Pacific here at home...ahhhh no. Does Cosmel have it where I need to take the Western, or if Eastern higher up on the islands not so far south???
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 02-18-2007, 03:07 PM

Hi Baby doll. There are two small cruiselines, Windjammer and Star Clippers that go to the Grenadines on 7 day & 14 day itineraries. These are tall mast sailing ships with under 200 people on them, known for being casual, lots of fun and focused on itinerary activities. Go to their websites and check it out. There are also several private yachts for hire. As for Princess, I prefer their Western Caribbean itinerary which goes to Ocho Rios, Jamacia, Grand Cayman, Cozumel and Princess Cay (which is the south end of Eleuthra in the Bahamas). Ocho Rios is fun, do the waterfalls. Take a taxi to Grand Cayman's 7 mile beach, which does have beautiful blue water, and spend the day walking the beach and swimming. Stingray city in Grand Cayman is also fun followed by the beach in the afternoon. Cozumel has a terrific park, Chankanaab Park, (beach, dolphin swim, snorkling, nature trails and restaurants) a taxi ride away. And of course a full day on the beach in the Bahamas. As Bahamas beaches go, its a B, but still beautiful. Rent a covered cabana for the day to ensure a shady spot on the beach. Joyceh
Old 02-19-2007, 08:03 AM
Yes I will go to the sight and see what they offer, thanks. I also went into tobago cays sight and found some great island hopping views. A couple had that water. Great info on the Western Caribben itinerary. Lots for me to check out before I make that big decision. Thanks all of you for the input.
2005 NCL SAN FRANCISCO
Old 02-28-2007, 06:30 PM

I am taking the cruise on Crown Princess from san juan because of the islands. I have been to the bahamas 2x and I have not been impressed.

St. Kitts is beautiful-not quite sure if the water is as blue as you experienced in the Bahamas but the scenery in St. Kitts is beautiful. And seeing the monkeys on Turtle beach cannot be beat.
As a diver, I love Bonaire; beaches are not great but diving/snorkeling is. The visibility in the water is phenomenal and since Bonaire has protected the reefs since the 70's, the reefs have abundant fish. And since not many cruise ships visit Bonaire, it is not built up, like Aruba.

I have also been to the Caymans, Cozumel and Ocho Rios and I prefer the southern caribbean stops.

Good luck

Closed Thread