Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2002, 02:35 PM

Has anyone crossed the Atlantic on the QE2 ? Smooth sailing? What was the ship REALLY like?
Maureen
Old 07-01-2002, 02:35 PM

Has anyone crossed the Atlantic on the QE2 ? Smooth sailing? What was the ship REALLY like?
Maureen
Old 07-02-2002, 11:00 AM

Maureen, I have made several crossings on the QE2. Here are my thoughts on her. First, everyone should make at least one crossing on her as she is built especially for the crossing and it is an amazing experience to enjoy her power as she plows through some of the world's roughest waters at 30 knots. The North Altalntic can be an experience.

On one sailing we encountered 95 ft seas (even the QE2 slowed her pace for this event) She received a may-day call from a sailboat that had experienced 2 knock downs and put the call out. The QE2 came upon the sailboat at about 4 am and could not raise the captain on the radio so she blew her horm to get his attention. The captain of the sailboat woke up to see the QE2's bow towering over her and then refused rescue as the seas had subsided. While damaged, he did not want to abandoon his sailboat but was going to try to limp to a port to avoid it being salvaged.

I would always select a westbound crossing as you gain an hour a day during the sailing. On eastbound crossings you lose an hour a day and it adds up so that by the end of the cruise you just don't feel rested.

There are 5 formal nights in a row.....

Hope that helps

To
Old 07-03-2002, 08:15 AM

I sailed from NYC to Southampton in mid-May. We encountered fairly heavy seas (enough to make the glasses and dishes slide off the tables) for several days. Most people showed up for dinner, although I know many got motion sickness shots or were wearing patches.

The ship physically was not so different from my previous experience (three sailings on the Westerdam), but the service was amazing--attentive but unobtrusive. The food in the dining room (Caronia) was very, very good, with enough variety to please everyone. Plus they made crepes suzette s for our table by special request since they weren't on the menu until the following week.

In my opinion there's not enough separation of smoking and non-smoking areas, but they do their best.

I love live music and look forward to it, but found the offerings on the QE2 adequate but uninteresting. But, I wanted a quiet, low key week before I got to England, and that's what I got.

I think that traveling eastbound is the way to go, as long as you go to bed at a reasonable time each night. I arrived in England without jet lag and after a full night's sleep for the first time ever! Of course, sailing back would be good too...
Old 08-11-2002, 06:17 PM

My husband and I have made 4 crossings on the QE2,
the most recent was 1998. WE have sailed eastbound once and westbound from Southampton 3 times. We love the ship!You do have to dress for dinner every night (formal or cocktail dress).
The service is excellent. There is a crew of 1000
for 1600 passengers so the service is bound to be good. We have made all our crossings in late May or June and only once encountered rough sea (one night only).
the ship is very class conscious and there are a few areas that you can not go into if you are not travelling first class. There are different dining rooms according to your second or first class status. Within the first class status there are also different "Grilles" ( Upper first class dining rooms) depending on the first class accommodation you have paid for.
WE would like to cross with QE2 again but I believe when the Queen Mary 2 is introduced in 2004, the QE2 will no longer be doing the transatlantic crossing.
The entertainment is good and includes classical
music as well as the norm. There is a cinema on board that seats 500 people. There is an outdoor and indoor pool and very good spa facilities.
(Golden Door Spa from San Francisco).
Hope this helps
Old 08-11-2002, 06:21 PM

My husband and I have made 4 crossings on the QE2,
the most recent was 1998. WE have sailed eastbound once and westbound from Southampton 3 times. We love the ship!You do have to dress for dinner every night (formal or cocktail dress).
The service is excellent. There is a crew of 1000
for 1600 passengers so the service is bound to be good. We have made all our crossings in late May or June and only once encountered rough sea (one night only).
the ship is very class conscious and there are a few areas that you can not go into if you are not travelling first class. There are different dining rooms according to your second or first class status. Within the first class status there are also different "Grilles" ( Upper first class dining rooms) depending on the first class accommodation you have paid for.
WE would like to cross with QE2 again but I believe when the Queen Mary 2 is introduced in 2004, the QE2 will no longer be doing the transatlantic crossing.
The entertainment is good and includes classical
music as well as the norm. There is a cinema on board that seats 500 people. There is an outdoor and indoor pool and very go

Closed Thread

Tags
annapolis, atlantic, cross, crossing, cruise, dress, june, lines, md, princess, review, rough, sailboat, ship, weather