Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2008, 05:22 AM

We are taking cruise, one way, north to south on Diamond on May 17. What about the fishing excursions? Tourist traps or worth doing?
Old 01-23-2008, 06:32 AM

I personally have not taken any fishing excursions. However, even if it is a tourist trap, I would bet you'd get to see some fantastic scenery. We've only done the Caribbean (I can't stand the cold), but all of our catamaran sails/snorkels have been great. Even if the snorkeling wasn't the best, it gave us some great views. Best wishes and let us know how your cruise went!
Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 AM

You have to like fishing (which I do) but the "deep sea" samon fishing is great. Do expect to be able to keep your catch though. Its very expensive to have it processed and shipped back (you are better off just buying some samon already prepared).

If you are a fisherman, go for it, its not like any fishing you will do in the lower 48...except for maybe Coho (not sure if that is the correct spelling) Samon fishing on Lake Michigan
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14, Freedom x 2 6/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 01-23-2008, 06:51 PM

In 2006 we did Alaska and the one thing my husband wanted to do was fish for salmon. He didn't want to spend a day on one of the excursions or spend the money. While in Ketchican we found a little shop that rented fishing gear and sold the neccessary licsense. So for around $30.00 he got to fish for salmon and with success. He caught one very nice size one right off the bridge near the shop. Of course he jusr released the fish. He was a happy man the rest of the trip!

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 01-24-2008, 08:53 PM

We were Alaska on Celebrity Cruise in summer of 2004 (hope everything goes OK on Princess????). It was a wonderful family trip. The first thing I can tell is DON'T book any excursions through PRINCESS CRUISES. If they don't have enough interest, they just cancel the excursion. You are better off going online and finding excursions on your own. We booked 2 fishing boats to go salmon fishing in Ketchican. The family split up between the 2 boats. No one on my boat caught a single fish. The family members (4) on the other boat caught 7 salmon! We had to listen to their gloating for the next week and eat their fish at several meals when we returned home (they gut, fillet, freeze your catch and ship it home for you). But the best part was the scenery - it was beautiful. The bald eagles were everywhere. Quite amazing. But don't be afraid to book these excursions on your own. These people make their livelihood off of the tourists and they take good care of you. Don't get GOUGED by PRINCESS prices!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:37 AM

Boy you sure have something against PRINCESS. We have gone with this company all the time and not a single issue. We book all of our excurions thru Princess with no problem. I agree the price may be higher, but it a peace of mind knowing that someone will be behind you if something goes wrong. I don't see what the problem with cancelling a tour is not enough people book it. This happens everywhere, even on land tours or even shows.
Thanks.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, caught, celebrity, cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, fish, fishing, fly, forum, lake, michigan, princess, review, reviews, samon