Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Administrator

MisterBuster, I don't know if this is still in place, but when we took a Princess cruise a couple of years ago, it was possible to book a table reservation by phone when on the ship. I believe the # was 3463 (corresponding to DINE), and you'd have to call a couple of days in advance.

Recent Princess cruisers -- is this still the case?

I am glad that you are sticking around. I look forward to hearing about your cruise. In the meantime, we're happy to answer any questions.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:20 PM
LisaP,
I've never heard of this service; but then I wouldn't need it--we like traditional second seating; I love the quiet on deck while the first seating diners are getting beautiful.
MisterBuster, just want to clear something up; raffles has always been a perfect gentleman (at least I think he's a guy--I've been fooled before); he's no bully at all; we've had some nice dialogues. Dave will not abide bullies--he'll give them just so long and then thery're gone. I think he maybe was just having a bad day. I get the impression he's (?) fairly young and just dosen't understand that to some of us, dinner is more than just another chance to fill our guts; a leisurely late dinner with a good wine and genial conversation is an important part of our cruise day--it's why we cruise, for God's sake.
So he (?) probably found our going on about this a little tedious and just lashed out.
So I want you to know, raffles, we hold no ill will towards you, and I certainly don't want to get into a ****ing contest with you over what amounts to a difference of opinion. Truce?
Old 12-14-2006, 11:39 PM
Banned

Sorry F mattox, I wasnt trying to addresss it toward you actually. I just dont get why they are so concerned with sitting alone every night. Sure, I like to sit alone, but I dont worry about making a bunch of calls and sweating over all that. if it happens great, if it doesnt thats great too, heck I am on a cruise most of my experiances are good ones even if it wasnt my first choice of what i wanted to do! Once again, sorry and thatnks for all your help, you are a great poster!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:30 PM

MisterBuster, I just returned from 10 days on the Sun Princess and we had the open seating. The longest we had to wait for dinner was 10 minutes and we went at different times from 6:00 to 8:30 depending on how long it took the wife to get ready. If a table is not ready for you when you show up they will give you a pager and you can go find a lounge and have a cocktail while you wait, it worked very well for us. We asked for a table for 2 nightly and were granted it no problem, they have tables of 4 or 6 and they put up dividers across the middle so you seperated from the other people and can talk to your spouse without them hearing your conversation, most couples seem to be sitting by themselves rather than sharing a table with others. Enjoy your cruise....
Old 12-15-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey raffles,
thanks for the kind words; we really think more alike than either of us thought--and penny3333 too--she (there I go assuming again) is a really sweet-spirited person.
I love your comment, "If it happens great, if it dosen't that's great too. . ." That's pretty much my philosophy too.
Nice talking to you again!
Old 12-18-2006, 06:36 AM

Yes, I'm a she(even though I'm blonde and early 50s) and I'm ready to head south to Ft. Lauderdale. Too bad this work thing is in the way. Oh, by the way, never asked them why we couldn't get second seating. It really turned out for the best, now I'm hooked on anytime dining. Best wishes and Happy Holidays
Old 12-18-2006, 05:53 PM

I'd like to put my two cents in. My husband and I cruise every year. (would like to go more, but just like Penny, someone has to work) Anyway, we enjoy Princess for at least two reasons. One, is we enjoy the anytime dining. It gives us a good chance to meet different people every night. If we don't feel like sitting with others, then we ask for a table for two. It's the variety that makes the cruise memorable. And two, we love to swim, so the fresh water pools makes it enjoyable for us. If I want to swim in salt water, I'll wait and go to the beach. (which we enjoy also) Either way, it's all about being on vacation and just enjoying your life, right?
Old 12-18-2006, 08:08 PM
Hello choochella,
my wife and I have gotten to like having breakfast and/or lunch in the dining room on days at sea; it's open seating so we meet new people at every meal; then second seating dinner with the same tablemates and waiters. I know it's not to everyone's liking, but we have made friends that we correspond with for years. It seems like in one meal the conversation never gets too far beyond the superficial; but you spend 10-14 or more days with people and you can develop some lasting friendships.
Of course the buffet is still best on shore excoursion days; and NOTHING is better than a grilled cheeseburger and an ice cold 20 oz. Grolch by the pool!!

Closed Thread

Tags
american, cruise, cruises, dawn, dining, holland, line, maitre, make, open, princess, reservations, restaurant, seating, tip