Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 09:49 AM

My wife and I have not sailed on Princess since the evolution of open dining. We are booked on the Dawn Princess for the Mexican Riviera shortly and were unable to get a confirmation for second seating in traditional dining. Consequently, we are confirmed for Open Dining.

We have two general requirements when we cruise: second seating and a table for two. In the past we've always been able to have both needs met. In the event we are still not cleared for second seating by the time of sailing, is it the experience of the readers here that one could negotiate with the maitre d' of the open dining room for a table for two at a specific time each evening?

Fyi, my usual practice is to visit the maitre d' on departure day with money in hand.

Comments would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2006, 11:11 AM

I'm not sure about a specific time, but I would think they would try to accomodate you. We used to do the late seating as well. On one trip on the Sea, we had the same thing happen, even though I had booked nearly a year in advance. After trying the anytime concept, we really enjoyed it. We don't do a table for 2, and enjoyed meeting different people each evening. It's also nice to not have to rush to get ready or wait to eat if you're hungry. Best wishes and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:57 PM
Hi penny3333,
did they offer any explanation for bumping you like that? I usually book a year ahead to get a specific cabin and a confirmed seating for dinner. I would not be pleased if this happened to me unless there was a reasonable explanation. I recall one post where a corporate group had taken over an entire dining room. I can roll with the punches, and, like you, try anytime dining--who knows? I might like it--but I would sure want to know why.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:16 PM
Banned

Could you imagine if everyone requested this crap? Seriously, if you cant deal with is and are going to be miserable, save up and buy your own ship.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Hi raffles,
I don't think penny3333 or I gave the impression we would be miserable or couldn't deal with a last minute change; in fact I think we were pretty clear that we could adapt if necessary; we're experienced enough to know that stuff happens and accommodations must be made; heck, don"t let the picture fool you--I'm the least miserable person I know.
But I see it as the cruise line offering me choices; not me "requesting crap". And if you and I request the same thing but I request it six months before you, my request should have priority. Is that asking to much??
Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 PM

Raffles, don't let the New Cruiser title applied to my name by the system fool you. We are not new cruisers. For openers, all I did was ask a simple question about mechanics. Second, I don't think there is a single element of my posting which suggests that we can't "deal with it" or would be miserable in any case. The kind of response you have provided without seeming to have either read or understood my question is gratuitous and without merit.

Cheers
Old 12-13-2006, 05:36 PM

Oops, Raffles. I apologize. You weren't being gratuitously rude to me after all. You were being gratuitously rude to f-mattox.

As a new poster at this venue, my time here is going to be short-lived if this is the sort of response reasonable posters can expect to receive.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hi MisterBuster, and welcome to cruise-chat.

My experience with the Princess personal choice dining is that you can always get a table to yourselves. It may be a table set for four, but they will only sit you two at it! And, it really didn't require any palm-greasing of the maitre'd. In our case there were three of us, and we simply approached the desk and asked for a table to ourselves. It was always honored.

You can set up a set time for each day if you wish.
Old 12-13-2006, 08:01 PM
Geez raffles,
in looking through some threads I've noticed that penny3333 and I have answered more of your questions than anybody; so why the outburst?
I don't think we deserved that.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:38 AM

Dave, thanks very much for your excellent reply. Just the sort of information and experience I was looking for.

When I got up this morning I was well-prepared for another blast from Raffles who would appear to be one of the well-established bulletin board bullies with whom everyone on the net is familiar. And, I was equally prepared to say goodbye. I'm glad that f-mattox pushed back.

Cheers

Closed Thread

Tags
american, cruise, cruises, dawn, dining, holland, line, maitre, make, open, princess, reservations, restaurant, seating, tip