Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 08:14 AM

Help!!! My wife and I are having a great debate. We are planning a May/June 2008 cruise to Alaska. I say we need at least an outside cabin she says inside and many side trips with the extra money saved. I want to watch the landscape and wildlife. She thinks we will see just as much from one of the open upper decks. Any suggestions?

Thanks to all.

Caseyg
Old 10-08-2007, 08:23 AM

We cruised in Alaska with princess last year. I would say certainly an outside cabin at the very least. A balcony is even better. It is magic to watch a glacier calf or a whale suddenly spout from your own balcony. Sometimes the wildlife appears very suddenly and you may not have time to reach the upper decks.
Have a wonderful cruise.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:36 AM

I'd have to agree with esrosa on this one. I can understand wanting to go on excursions as well. However, you never know when something unexpected is going to happen. I personally love the balconies, just for this reason. But an outside is nice because at least you can see out. Best wishes and I know you will love your Alaska cruise!
Old 10-08-2007, 08:42 AM

We have done Alaska twice. Once on the Princess Sun, and on the Hal Zaandam. We choice an inside both times and saved money for our excursions. I would do the same again. On the Zaandam we were on deck two aft. It was a few cabins from the aft deck on the outside of the ship. We loved it there.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:09 PM

I always recommend a balcony to clients on an Alaska cruise. I recently went on the Summit in Alaska in August. I used my balcony a lot. If you are visiting a glacier for 6-8 hours you will get tired of standing up on deck fighting the crowds for space at the rail. I sat on my deck at Hubbard Glacier and just enjoyed the view. You could hear the Glacier "thundering" and then you watched for the calving. We sat for an hour and watch sea otters playing in the water right in front of our balcony. I ran upstairs, grabbed some hot chocolate and brought it back down to the balcony. On another day when in Ketchikan I enjoyed coming back to the ship and sitting on the balcony watched the float planes landing and taking off. It is also great to watch a sunset. When leaving a port you could see beautiful scenery for hours from your balcony. This is one trip you do not want to skimp. Get a balcony.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:52 PM

What you would miss on a balcony (at least on the Zaandam) was the narration. We were in the Crow's nest no real crowds, it was warm and they served Split pea soup, coffee, tea ect. We got to listen to the Rangers and natives that were brought on board to narrate the Glacier part of the Cruise.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:05 AM
Alaska was our first balcony, always got interior rooms. We have never gone back to an interior room. 100% I would say a balcony is a must for an Alaskan cruise. We spent so much time on our baclony even when just cruising the open seas. But during the "narration" parts of the trip it was wonderful to enjoy the scenery in privacy and confort while sipping coffee and hot cocoa. I personally wouldn't do an Alaskan cruise without a balcony. You're gonna love the trip, but you'll love it even more with a balcony!! Have a great time!
Old 10-09-2007, 09:31 AM

We just booked with Princess for a 7 day inside passage. My Aunt, Uncle, Cousin, and a few others had done it a few years back. My Aunt had a balcony and said it was far too cold to enjoy. She said they did not use it enough. She is usually not the cold natured type. We live in the Sierra Mountains snow is part of our life. We got an Ocean View. She also said the Narration part was interesting and you could not hear it in the cabin, only the public areas of the ship. It sounds like they have some big charts/maps out for you plus they handout some stuff you would miss in your cabin.
My Aunt also has trouble sleeping unless it is dark. (Here I would call he fussy!!!) She will go for an inside cabin next time.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM

Hi everyone. When would you suggest would be the best time to take a cruise in Alaska.
Thanks,
Sandy P
Costa Atlantica 2/2002-- 2/2005----Magica 2/2006
Concordia 1/2008
HAL MS Zuiderdam 9/03
MS Zaandam 1/04
Sun Princess 9/05
Royal Caribbean :
Majesty of the Seas 11/01
Sovereign of the Seas 12/02
MSC Orchestra 1/09
Ru** Princess 10/09

Read and post cruise reviews

Old 10-10-2007, 02:04 PM
We've cruised twice to Alaska and will make it a third time in June....We've always taken an inside room....Most of the time it's raining, cold, windy and a balcony wouldn't be worth the extra money....at least I think so...we take the extra $1,000 to $2,000 that a balcony would cost and do some GREAT excursions....plus in the summer it's light almost 24 hours and hard sleeping...besides, I'm never in my room except to sleep and shower....But to each his own...Just enjoy the Alaska experience...It's almost a religious experience...

Bob E

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, balcony, cabin, carnival, cruise, cruises, inside, interior, ourtside, side, spend, stateroom, trips, worth