Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2005, 04:48 PM

We are looking to go on the Star Princess cruise to Western Carribean and are wondering about the balocny rooms. Is being up higher worth the extra added expense?
Old 10-31-2005, 06:12 PM

In my opinion they are well worth the extra money. We got our first balcony because my wife does not like confined spaces. We love them. In the mornings I sit out there with coffee, a book and watch the sun rise. In the afternoon we sit on the balcony with wine and cheese as our relaxation before the evening festivities begin, usually watching the sunset. Before we turn in for the night we often sit out there and read or just enjoy the sound of the waves. a few times I even fell asleep on the balcony.

We've had mini-suites a couple times and felt they were not worth the extra money but I'm sure there are those who would disagree about that. Cruising is great because there are so many choices

Being higher is a personal matter, You are closer to the pools and the action but farther from the dining rooms shops, entertainment and some bars. You may also feel a bit more movement up high. We've been on the baja, caribe, and dolphin decks. This February we will be on the aloha.. I've never really felt much difference between them.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:25 PM

Aimee,

Welcome to Cruise Reviews.
You will get many repsonses to your question.

A direct answer is YES, balconies are worth it
Can everyone afford it, no.

For me to enjoy my 2-3 cruises a year with a single rate, hard to always have the higher catagory cabins.

Certain cruises having a balcony is a must.
Panama Canal, Alaska, Med. come to mind.

Many cruisers prefer an inside cabin ?? They enjoy the darkness to catch up on sleep.

I have been on the Star twice. She is a lovely ship. When are you going??
Let us know what you decide & Enjoy your cruise

Cathy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 11-07-2005, 08:13 AM

Aimee,

Go with the balcony room, it is money well spent. There is something wonderful about being on the balcony as the sea drifts by enjoying that morning coffee and danish delivered to the room. I like sitting out as we leave port and land slip into the distance as I look forward to the next stop. The Star is a great ship and you will being home many many found memories.

Caseyg

Caseyg
Old 11-08-2005, 12:26 PM

Hi I have to agree Go for a balcony but be warned you will never be able to go back to an inside room. Having a balcony changes your cruise because you will be happy to stay on your balcony and relax instead of trying to find a chair by the pool. There is nothing like watching the stars in the middle of the night when you had got up to P. Enjoy your cruise
Old 11-08-2005, 06:01 PM

Hey Aimee - My husband & I just got of the Star (11/6) - we did the W. Carribean cruise, too. Have to say all the stuff you read about once you've had a balcony cabin, you'll never be happy in another window or inner cabin is most true. It was sheer bliss to tiptoe out in the wee hours to listen to the noise of the ship cutting through the water or check out the stars above. It was also a great place to cozy up with a drink & a good book. We were on the Caribe deck & yes the balcony space is larger - you can be in the sun (out in the open)or you can tuck yourself under the overhang of the cabin above you. There's room for 2 adjustable deck chairs, 2 standard/stackable chairs, 2 small square tables & 1 round cafe table. Be sure to ask for cushions for the adjustable chairs - we used the small square table under the leg portion of the cushion as a way to make the whole arrangement into a lounger. How clever were we???? Nancy was our housekeeper & worth her weight in gold. Our cabin was C627 & very convenient to elevators or stairs. The only downside to these cabins (from a woman's point of view) is the fact that men tend to use the balcony as an "exhaust" room - we heard a lot of belching, ... -etc. from all around - so remember your conversations will not necessarily be private! Some people could stand to learn how to use their "inside" voice on their balcony. Still, if your budget can swing it, just sign up and do it! It is so worth it!!!!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:20 PM

I have to agree with the majority, balconies are great for the reasons they stated. I'd definitely book it if you can afford one.

But if your budget can't swing it, inside is better than not getting on the ship...I did that after having a balcony and I admit it was a bit difficult but I spent $100 plus on the spa, still came out ahead, and considered it a nice consolation prize

Closed Thread

Tags
balconey, balcony, canada, cruise, cruises, exhaust, it, oceanview, princess, room, rooms, ship, space, star, worth