Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 06:51 PM

Thanks for the answers to my previous question. This question has to do with tipping. The literature says we will pay $10.00/per person each day of the cruise for tips. If we order room service, for instance, do we have to tip the waiter who delivers it or is that part of the $10.00? If not, how much? And at dinner? Do you have to leave a tip. Not sure what the $10.00/day tip covers and what it doesn't.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:21 PM

Good question. I have the same concerns.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:51 PM

I went back and read some of the other posts on tipping. I realize you can pay less or you can pay individually instead of the automatic $10, etc. (and that drink bills have the tip added in) but I am still unclear with the procedure if I do opt to pay the $10/day tip (per person). Do I still have to tip at dinner? For room service? What other occassions would I be expected to tip in addition to the $10/day charge? Is this the best way to go?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:11 AM

Hi Carolsue,
The automatic $10 per day gratuity covers all the wait staff in the dining room and your cabin steward (and assistant if there is one). So, there is no expectation that you do more. If you dine at one of the Specialty Restaurants that have a cover charge, the cover charge takes care of gratuities for the wait staff there. Bar service already has an automatic 15% gratuity included on your bar tab (same for wine purchased from the wine steward at dinner). The only time you might want to consider tipping "on the spot" is for room service. Room service is complimentary, so it is customary to tip them. I usually tip $1 or $2, per person depending on the size of the order. Now, it is totally at your discretion - but I also give additional tips (on top of the automatic gratuity already paid) to anyone who has gone "above and beyond the call of duty" on my behalf - either at the time the service was provided, or at the end of the cruise if it was one of my regular attendants either at dinner or in my cabin.

Hope this helps!
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 09-25-2005, 02:04 PM

I agree with Nancy 100% as far as tipping. If I order room service I also offer a dollar or two per person depending on what we have ordered. I have read where Princess now offers - for an additional price, breakfast or dinner, served on your verandah. As this is a new service and it is for an additional fee I wonder if we should tip over and above the extra fee we paid seeing how we are being served in our cabin? (And from what I read they bring flowers etc.) Has anyone tried this yet - opinions? Barbara

Caribbean Travel Articles
Old 09-26-2005, 05:17 AM

Tip more!

http://cruise-chat.com/eve/forums/a/...2/m/1881037451
Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 PM

I usually pack a little gift of some sort for each day on the ship for the cabin steward. This time I also packed a stack of notes to write appreciation messages on. For instance one had smiley faces, one said thank you, or just howdy etc. to place along with the gift.

Another thing that my husband and I always make a point to do is take time speak with them in person. It means a lot to them to let them know that we realize how hard that they work and that we appreciate everything that they do for us.

Just a bit of "Food For Thought"
Old 09-28-2005, 02:04 AM

We also prefer talking to the cabin stewards every time we see them. I think that they really appreciate this, to be recognized and to be acknowldged through the passengers.

And its a pleasure for us to talk to crew members from so many different countries and thank god I can talk to them in 4 different languages and thats also a kind of recognition.

And of course, extra service deserves extra tips. So we prefer not tipping how the cruise line recommends it. We give the crew envelopes with the tips in cash at the end of the cruise, but for good service also during the cruise.
And if you have not a good service as we had on the Baltic cruise with the stateroom-attendant, I give only the recommend tip and no $ more.

Marita (hey look at my countdown)

Old 09-28-2005, 06:19 AM

I like you you handle it, Oppis. Although not multilingual, I would like to follow the same example!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:29 AM

Ok, I am still wondering about something. If we choose to tip ourselves rather than the payment the cruise people recommend, how would you do it if you have chosen personal dining? I mean, I assume we will have different waiters if we dine at different times/places. And sometimes it will be at the buffet. Would we just tip one waiter at each meal? And then tip the cabin steward at the end? Is there just one of those or several? I'm thinking it might be easier to just do it they way the cruise recommends!

Closed Thread