Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

View Poll Results: will my cingular phone work on the carribean princess ship whalst at sea???
idk 0 0%
ummm 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2006, 11:32 AM

going on a cruise in december on the barribean princess and i really need to be able to stay in touch with my parents and famly, while at sea will my cingular have coveage? if if no, will walkie talkies, and if they work what are agood cheap brand that would work wel??pleease rreply quickly! thank you!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:21 AM

Just returned from the Western Caribbean on Caribbean Princess. Being a cingular subscriber..Princess has decided not to jump on the cellular bandwagon. Your phone is supposed to work in Grand Cayman but mine did not. It did work in Cayman on two recent cruises so I was surprised when it didn't this trip. I checked on the Cingular web site (www.cingular.com/international)and it shows that it should work in Cayman.
It didn't work in Jamaica. So unless you have better luck........
Walkie Talkies work well. I have three pair. I would recommend an inexpensive pair (Sam's Club/Costco) Look for the longest range you can find (5 miles)

Funship Freddy

Regal Princess 1996
Sun Princess 1998
Grand Princess 2000
Ocean Princess 2001
Golden Princess 2004
Caribbeean Princess 2004
Caribbean Princess 2006

S.S. Norway 2002

M.S. Veendam 2003

Celebrity Zenith 2005
Celebrity Zenith 2006

RCCL Soverign 2001
RCCL Monarch 2002
RCCL Majesty 2002
RCCL Majesty 2004
RCCL Empress 2005

Carnival Ecstasy 10/99
Carnival Ecstasy 01//01
Carnival Fascination 07/01
Carnival Imagination 04/02
Carnival Imagination 01/03
Carnival Imagination 01/03 again
Carnival Fascination 03/03
Carnival Victory 05/03
Carnival Fascination 12/03
Carnival Fascination 07/04
Carnival Imagination 02/05
Old 08-28-2006, 01:30 PM

According to Travel Weekly (7/11/2006) NCL became the first cruise line to offer guests on North American cruises the ability to use personal cell phones in 2004. Carnival Cruise Lines (parent company to Princess) said in June 2006 it would install technology enabling guests on its 22 ships to use their own cell phones anywhere at sea. Carnival contracted with Wireless Maritime Services, a company whose client roster already includes Norwegian Cruise Line, Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises and Regent Seven Seas Cruises. With the world’s largest cruise line in the game, by next year the majority of cruise ships around the world will have this kind of cellular phone service. WMS was developed as a partnership between Maritime Telecommunications Network, a provider of satellite connectivity to cruise ships, and Cingular Wireless. Calls cost the passenger around $2 to $5 per minute, depending on their own cell phone provider - and - your cell phone providers can then tack on additional charges, depending on the calling plan. Some cruise lines still hesitate to enable calls that could intrude loudly upon other people’s vacations. Preston McKinney of Odyssey Travel in San Antonio has heard no complaints from his clients so far, but he thinks phone service on ships could become a nuisance if cruise lines don’t designate cell phone-free areas. “[Guests] would be very irritated if they were sitting and enjoying fine dining and a cell phone goes off,” he said. “Also in the pool areas because people like to sit there, relax and read.” It is fitting that Princess, whose motto is “Escape Completely,” is among the cruise line holdouts. “It’s a trade-off,” said Jan Swartz, Princess’ senior vice president of customer service and sales. Princess is currently in the process of testing WSM’s service on one of its ships, but Swartz said the line was looking into the possibility of blocking service in certain areas. Some companies, including Cunard Line, Disney Cruise Line and Seabourn Cruise Line, don’t offer cell phone service and have no plans to.

As with ANYTHING on a cruise, call the CRUISE LINE to ask if a service or amenity is offered.

Regarding Cingular working on-shore, a CALL TO CINGULAR had the "international roaming" feature turned on (normally off on North American GSM phone). Whether your specific model phone works in other nations is something you need to CALL YOUR PROVIDER about, and at worse, call the telecom company that carries wireless calls where you will be traveling. Some phones will work, most still will not, since the USA is typically the last nation to get on the ball when it comes to global standarization.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:34 PM

If you mean while you are on the ship, in the middle of the Caribbean, miles from the nearest cell tower, then no. Unless you are on an NCL ship. I assume when you say that you could use a walkie talkie that your parents and family will be on the ship with you and not back at home. If so, use the walkie talkies, but be curtious for those around you. People are on vacation and don't want to hear walkie talkies beeping and making noise in the shows and such... You will need to contact Cingular to make sure you have international access before you leave home. Tell them which ports you are stopping in and they should be able to tell you if you will have service there or not. You may also need to be activated for international roaming.. that may be why funship freddy could not talk on his. Mine (Verizon) worked in both Cozumel and G. Cayman, but I travel internationally with work and it was already set up.

Flaspots-
Carnival Cruise Lines is not the parent company of Princess. Carnival Corp is.
Magic 11/11,Triumph 4/12,Spirit 7/12,Freedom 11/12, Triumph 2/13 - The fire cruise, Magic 1/14

NCL Dream October 2006, RCCL Mariner OTS June 2007, Celebrity Silhouette 2013
Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM

I just returned from the Century on a Baltic cruise and was able to use my cell phone for the entire time (at sea or in port). I use T-Mobile, rather than Cingular, so check with your service provider and they should let you know if they offer coverage while onboard.

In an effort to save money, I used the text messaging capabilities ($.10 per message) rather than accruing the roaming charges. (Much cheaper than the cost of e-mail.)

Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 08-28-2006, 06:15 PM

Nancy, I thought the air time needed to send and receive text messages is still subject to roaming charges. Is that included in your .10/txt msg rate?

Sandy

Closed Thread

Tags
atsea, caribbean, carnival, cell, cingular, cruise, free, phone, phones, princess, roaming, sea, service, ship, work