Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2007, 01:58 PM

I thought those of you who have not seen this post might be interested in this.

This is a copy of a letter posted on Cruise critic in response to a letter sent to Princess about attire on their Island Princess cruise on a formal night. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...=520208&page=3
Quote:
Following is a direct quote (errors and all) from a letter I received from Princess Passenger Relations today. It was in response to a question regarding the dress code enforcement in the Dining Room on Formal Nights on our recent Island Princess cruise. Now I understand from this that basically there really is NO dress code any longer. I think the people who always ask the blue jean questions will be very happy.

"...The dress code aboard our ships is a variable that, although we try to maintain a consistency, is not confined to hard and fast rules. Please be assured, it is never our intention to inconvenience our guests by instituting changes instituted that may affect "onboard protocol." Rather, the dress codes are offered as guidelines for guests to follow the ship's activities schedule for the cruise. Although the dining rooms do enforce the no shorts or bathing attire rules, no passenger would be turned away or made to feel uncomfortable should he/she desire not to adhere to the recommended attire for a specific night. More importantly, our guests are always welcome in any public room, regardless of the ship's suggested dress. We are sorry that you were disappointed as a result of contrary information regarding this practice."

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 03-20-2007, 02:12 PM

Thanks for posting this! I've been noticing more people dressed in jeans in the dining room at dinner. This explains why they're not being turned away at the door.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure which is more dissapointing: the company attitude toward its own dress code, or that this horribly written letter actually came from a company representative.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 PM

I second your comment f-mattox. If people choose not to follow the dress code, then they should use the buffet or pizza areas of the ship. I, for one, enjoy dressing for dinner. Plus, I stay in my attire for the evening. There is plenty of time for being casual. The wording, or lack there of, in that letter is ridiculous. Even a lawyer could have done better. No offense to lawyers, but reading a legal document is horrendous.
Old 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM

The poster replied to questions as to why he/she wrote the letter. They said that on formal night there was some one in jean bib overalls with the sides unbuttoned. The poster has been on 50 cruises and 37 of them on Princess. Obviously this was the first time they had seen this.

I remember someone telling me, several years ago, that a family was dressed in jeans on Formal night and went to the dining room. They were turned away and then proceeded to lay down on the floor blocking anyone from entering the dining room. What a mess that must have been! Finally they were allowed to enter so others could enter.

We have noticed the dress becomming more and more casual these past few years with more people cruising and with younger people now cruising. With the posting of this letter there will probably be more than one suitcase that is repacked!

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 03-20-2007, 06:07 PM

I totally agree with Penny. The one reason I enjoy cruising so much is the opportunity to "dress up" on formal nights. We rarely do this on land. I have two outfits that the only time I wear is on a cruise. Really never had the chance to wear them at home. Kind of gives you that "special feel". If people want to stay casual, then that's their choice. Go to the buffet or pizzeria that night. Let everyone who loves to dress up enjoy their moment. It's great being at dinner with all of your tablemates sparkling. It just wouldn't have that effect if you were seated with someone in jeans and a T-shirt. Kind of spoils the fun, don't you think?
Old 03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Banned

You know, as much as I love to dress up with my wife on formal night, and as much as I enjoy seeing others dressed to the hilt, I won't allow another person's choice of attire to spoil my evening. I fully understand that jeans and a t shirt are not appropriate attire for the formal night, but I refuse to allow someone else to negatively influence the fun I'm having. Maybe it's a live and let live attitude, or maybe I'm blinded by my stunning wife, but it just won't impact me if someone goes less than formal to dinner. I'm not saying anybody's elses opinion is wrong here, this is just my opinion.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, attire, code, critic, cruise, dining, dress, formal, golden, island, jeans, letter, lines, princess, room, ship, star