Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 PM

ok, I thought of another question about cruises.

Was looking at the Queen Mary 2 on the Cunard web site, they fly the British flag (rather than the Bahamas like other Carnival ships) so they would be high on my list of ships to go on if I were to cruise to Europe as opposed to flying...

They have a "sample daily programme" in PDF, looks like the cruise ship equivilent of what we called in the Navy, "The Plan of the Day". They have a line in there that says "Tonight’s Dress Code: Formal" I think that is similar to the line in the plan of the day that would say "uniform of the day".

Surely that only applies to spaces in the ship where formal meals would be served??? Would you still be able to eat dinner in a casual space like "The King's Court" or "Sir Samuel's Pub" on the QM2, wearing a t-shirt and jeans??? I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy, about the only formal stuff I have is my Dress Blue Uniform, which has been folded up in a box since I was honorably discharged in 2003... (I left voluntarily, my contract had expired. ) I do have stuff I wear for job interviews, but it's not a suit and tie, just the formal shirt and black slacks with Navy belt and navy formal shoes, seems to work nicely.

btw the "cruise ships" I have been aboard are the USS Florida (SSBN-728) from 2000-2002 and the USS Asheville (SSN-758) from 2002-2003. Never went underway on the Asheville, she was in drydock the whole time. Longest I spent underwater on the Florida was 87 days, without coming to the surface or coming into port.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:17 PM

ok, I thought of another question about cruises.

Was looking at the Queen Mary 2 on the Cunard web site, they fly the British flag (rather than the Bahamas like other Carnival ships) so they would be high on my list of ships to go on if I were to cruise to Europe as opposed to flying...

They have a "sample daily programme" in PDF, looks like the cruise ship equivilent of what we called in the Navy, "The Plan of the Day". They have a line in there that says "Tonight’s Dress Code: Formal" I think that is similar to the line in the plan of the day that would say "uniform of the day".

Surely that only applies to spaces in the ship where formal meals would be served??? Would you still be able to eat dinner in a casual space like "The King's Court" or "Sir Samuel's Pub" on the QM2, wearing a t-shirt and jeans??? I'm a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy, about the only formal stuff I have is my Dress Blue Uniform, which has been folded up in a box since I was honorably discharged in 2003... (I left voluntarily, my contract had expired. ) I do have stuff I wear for job interviews, but it's not a suit and tie, just the formal shirt and black slacks with Navy belt and navy formal shoes, seems to work nicely.

btw the "cruise ships" I have been aboard are the USS Florida (SSBN-728) from 2000-2002 and the USS Asheville (SSN-758) from 2002-2003. Never went underway on the Asheville, she was in drydock the whole time. Longest I spent underwater on the Florida was 87 days, without coming to the surface or coming into port.
Old 11-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I have not sailed on Cunard but I think the dress code is for anytime after 6pm for the ship.
I don't think jeans & T's are allowed in a dining venue for dinner.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 11-05-2006, 12:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by LHT28:
I have not sailed on Cunard but I think the dress code is for anytime after 6pm for the ship.
I don't think jeans & T's are allowed in a dining venue for dinner.

Really?? well, here it shows pictures of people who are not wearing formal wear, in the King's Court space:

http://cunard.com/OurShips/default.a...din&sub=#Kings

and one of the guys at Sir Samuel's Pub is clearly wearing at least a polo shirt, if not a t-shirt. I have to say if you can't wear t-shirt and jeans to dinner on a cruise I would rather fly.. Maybe that's a reason to take a cruise on a freighter, merchant vessels definitely wouldn't enforce a dress code for passengers.

So Lynn, on the cruise ships you have been on, there was no mess deck on the ship where one could wear t-shirt and jeans to eat the dinner meal?? I hope not...Clue me in!
Old 11-05-2006, 12:32 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Neutrino78x:
[quote]
Really?? well, here it shows pictures of people who are not wearing formal wear, in the King's Court space:

I have to say if you can't wear t-shirt and jeans to dinner on a cruise I would rather fly.. Maybe that's a reason to take a cruise on a freighter, merchant vessels definitely wouldn't enforce a dress code for passengers.

So Lynn, on the cruise ships you have been on, there was no mess deck on the ship where one could wear t-shirt and jeans to eat the dinner meal?? I hope not...Clue me in!

Maybe the photos are for lunch
You can wear a polo and dress pants or dockers I am sure but on casual or informal nights.
The Cunard ships are a bit more dress code conscientious I think ...I have not sailed them so don't know for sure.
The only ship I have seen jeans allowed in the dining room at dinner is NCL Dream out of Houston.
Most ships I have been on have a LIDO (buffet) where you can dress a bit more casual.

You might try Carnival, NCL, RCCL or even Easycruise which you can dress anyway you want but they don't really have set meals . www.easycruise.com

Most cruiselines do ask the passengers to dress at least in Dockers/polo shirt type clothes for dinner.
Alexandr Pushkin, Carnival-Holiday, HAL-(old)Westerdam, Orient lines-Marco Polo, Royal Olympic-Olympic, NCL-Dream, Dawn-Princess, ACCL-Grande Caribe, Oceania-Insignia (3), Regatta(4) Marina (1) St Lawrence Cruise Lines-Canadian Empress

FUTURE CRUISES:
Scenic River cruise June 11,2012
Old 11-06-2006, 07:38 AM

quote:
You might try Carnival, NCL, RCCL or even Easycruise which you can dress anyway you want but they don't really have set meals . www.easycruise.com

Unless they are repositioning, they don't "sail to Europe".

Why do you care what flag the ship is flying?

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruises, line, lines, princess, shoes, uniform, uniforms