Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2003, 06:50 AM

Good morning Alice,

Don't bother to pack a hair dryer unless you have long, thick hair. Every room on the Grand has a built-in hair dryer, but they don't have much power. I have short hair, so the dryer worked well for me.

A travel iron isn't needed, either. Most of the decks have a laundry room. Ironing boards and irons are available there free of charge.

We packed pretty light. Most of the time I wore a bathing suit and cover up, shorts, or capri pants T-shirts and sandles. We tended to dress up for dinner, only because we like to do that. For dinner John typically wore slacks, shirt, tie and a blazer; I wore dress slacks and a blouse with blazer, or a dress.

You won't have to dress up in the ports. A bathing suite and cover up is all that's necessary at Princess Cays. Shorts or casual slacks and a T-shirt are fine everywhere else.

If you go to the Mayan ruins, wear sturdy sneakers or walking shoes. The ground is uneven and rocky.

Pack water shoes. The beaches and water tend to be stewn with rocks and coral.

We enjoyed the "anytime" dining option. For us, the freedom to choose when we wanted to eat and with whom, if anyone, was what mattered most. We didn't miss having the same waiter every night. In fact, we enjoyed meeting new ones! We rarely had a wait for a table for 2. One night we waited 20 minutes, but the time went by quickly.

John wore a black suit, white dress shirt and dark tie on formal night. I wore black velvet slacks, a red glittery top, and black velvet sandles.

Have a wonderful trip!

Joanne
Old 06-14-2003, 10:06 AM

Can you anyone tell me if it would be wise to take a back pack on port days? I was planning to take a change of clothes (to change once we get out of the water)and my camera,water shoes, sunblock, etc... Are there lockers where I can place my stuff?
Old 06-14-2003, 08:55 PM

Most places won't have lockers, but a small backpack is a good idea, if you don't mind carrying it around with you. If you will be swimming/snorkeling, you can have one of your party watch it while the others are in the water, or perhaps a fellow passenger.
Old 06-15-2003, 01:12 PM

I agree with Karen. John and I each had a small backpack, but I found a medium-sized zippered tote bag much easier to deal with. It was hot and humid when we visited the Caribbean, making backpacks too uncomfortable.

Joanne
Old 06-17-2003, 12:18 PM

We are flying in on the same day of Embarkation.
Our flight arrives in Ft. Lauderdale at 11:00AM and Embarkation is at 5:00PM, do you think we will run into any problems? I notice several people travel one day prior, not sure why?
Old 06-17-2003, 03:05 PM

Alice, I usually fly the day before, and recommend my clients do the same, just in case there are major flight delays or cancellations. It's also a bit more of a restful way to start the vacation - rather than getting up before dawn (in many cases) and traveling all day, then boarding & starting the cruise, one gets to get up at a reasonable hour in the hotel, enjoy a nice breakfast, and get to the pier early enough to (sometimes) avoid the boarding rush. Much of the time things go well, and an 11:00 arrival should be fine. Have a great time!
Old 07-17-2003, 05:49 PM

Can anyone recommend a good company to go through for the Stingray City? There are several out there, but we want to be sure we pick the right one?

Thanks!
AliceA
Old 08-03-2003, 10:28 PM

Hi Alice. My husband and I will also be on the
same cruise. It will be our first time as well.
I hope it is as great as I'm told. Counting down
the days.

Joanne
Old 08-04-2003, 10:23 AM

Joanne,

That's great that you'll be joining us! Are you celebrating anything special? My husband and I are in our early 40's and are celebrating our 15 year anniversary on 8/26. He is from Toronto and we now live in San Antonio, Texas (so much warmer!) Are you booked on any excursions? I am so excited!!!

Alice
Old 08-04-2003, 04:43 PM

HI Alice

I am in my mid 40's and my husband is in his late
40's. We are going to celebrate my birtday Aug 30
and our 25 anniversary Sept 2. I have not booked any excursions yet because we are not sure what we want to do. I live about 1/2 hour or so east of
Toronto. Counting the days.

Joanne

Closed Thread

Tags
2003, code, dress, grand, princess