Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 03:15 PM

I have a few questions about our first crusie. How many shows & plays are on borad the ship? And are there hangers in the closets? We leave the first week in Sept. for Alaska.

Sherry Smith

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Welcome to cruise-chat.

There are no plays on ships, at least in the traditional sense. Shows are typically of a revue style, based on a theme, such as on our recent cruise where "Piano Man" featured musical segments for 5 different famous singers who use pianos (Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, etc.). Then there was a country theme show with different segments. Most cruise lines have two big production shows using their entertainers, and then two or three shows with contract entertainers which can occasionally be people you've heard of. We had Kenny James on our cruise. He won the old Star Search program 12 times and had a good show.

There is not a "big" show every night. For a 7-night cruise look for 2 big shows, 2 or 3 lesser shows, and the rest will be things like a comedian, newlywed game, passenger talent show, etc. Most lines now have just two or three performers who sing the leads. You can identify them by the mikes they wear. The other performers are not miked. All shows are designed to be 60 minutes or less in length, and the big shows are usually shown two times on their scheduled night. This is to accommodate all guests.

Yes there are some hangars in the closet. Not enough of them. Bring some. It depends on the category of cabin. We had an owner's suite last week and had two large closets with maybe 15 hotel-style hangars (the ones permanently attached to the bar with a removable lower section).

Old 06-28-2008, 03:55 PM

Some form of entertainment is almost constant, sometimes many different choices running at the same time in different areas of the ship. Some are production shows others are best described as other. Bingo, karaeoke, marriage and dating show, comedians and a lot more.

Yep, hangers in the closet but not usually as many as you'd like so bring some.

Have a great first cruise and welcome to cruise-chat!

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Sorry Dave, I started to answer the post and then my phone rang, by the time I got back to it you'd already covered it.

Cheers, Neil
Old 06-28-2008, 04:05 PM
Dave, did I understand correctly that you saw Piano Man on Rhapsody of the Seas? The reason I ask is because Princess has been running a similar show with the same name for several years. I wonder if the writers licensed it to both companies; or is somebody ripping somebody off. (???)
Old 06-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Administrator

At the Q&A with the Captain and his senior officers, someone asked about the shows. The answer was it takes 2-3 years to get one ready and then they use the show for 5 years before retiring it. RCI has a studio and stage in Hollywood Florida where they build the shows and train the performers. As for "Piano Man" on RCI...it had bits for Billy Joel, Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Barry Manilow, Elton John. Most of the show had the ship's pianist center stage playing while the featured singer and the dance troupe did their thing. Is that what Princess does with their version?

Old 06-28-2008, 04:58 PM
Boy, that describes the Princess show perfectly--right down to the featured artists; I think the Princess show had a little Neil Sedaka and no Ray Charles. Very interesting.

Princess puts its shows together exactlhy the same way. They just completed a big new sound stage near their corporate offices in Santa Clarita, CA; they even have a stage that replicates the stage in the showrooms on the ships.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Given the competitive nature of the cruise lines, and especially Carnival Corporation versus RCCL, I feel safe in saying the author sold the show to both corporations.

The lead-in on RCI's version was "The Piano Man" by Billy Joel. My least favorite line of that song..."and he's talking to Davey who's still in the Navy, and probably will be for life".

Old 06-28-2008, 05:36 PM

Thank you for answing the question. What is the best way to see Mendehall Glacier?

Sherry Smith

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 06-28-2008, 06:01 PM
A helicopter tour is the most spectacular--and the most expensive. I did a rafting expedition right up to the face of the glacier that was pretty spectacular too--but very cold. Or, just take a bus to the fabulous visitor center and enjoy it from a distance at your own pace.

Closed Thread