Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2007, 09:49 AM

We are on the diamond princess in mini suite D329. I have been told that these suites have no cover whatso ever. When i booked my cruise i asked for the best mini available and my TA got me this. I have been booked since dec last year so wasnt a problem finding a suite. Does anyone know what this suite will be like? I have never cruises with princess before and was wondering if my husband and i would be dissapointed or not. Thanks Muriel
Old 11-04-2007, 02:16 PM

All the Dolphin Deck mini-suites on all the "Grand Class" ships have balconies that are totally uncovered. Those balconies also have no privacy as they are in complete view for those above on A, B, or C deck balconies. The good thing is that the balconies are relatively large and the cabins are very nice with small sitting areas. We do a lot of cruising on these Grand Class ships and generally prefer the regular balcony cabins on Caribe deck because their balconies are half covered, half in the open. Or course they are smaller cabins than the mini-suites, but we have no problem with the size and enjoy the financial savings.

Hank
Old 11-04-2007, 02:29 PM

Thank you for your input unfortunately my TA didnt know they were totally open and now the ship is all sold out so guess im in for a lovely tan lol.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Hi Murphy123. You'll be enjoying your sunning from a wonderful balcony! We were on Diamond Princess in 2005, and I had the chance to peek into a few of the mini-suites. They are quite spacious, approximately 350 square feet including the balcony.

In case you haven't seen it, a floorplan of the cabin is located on the Princess site, here.

Your cabin is in a great, amidships location. We were in about the same area, only one deck above in a balcony cabin on Caribe Deck. The only way we could see the balconies below was to stand at our railing and look down. Yet, it was actually a fun experience to go outside in the morning and wave to fellow pax on balconies both above and below us who were all standing at their rails. But for the most part, pax did respect each others' privacy.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 PM

I sure would have no problems with those mini-suite balconies unless I was cruising in Alaska. But, you might consider finding a travel agent who has a "clue" about cruise ships. On the other hand, if you make your TA feel some guilt, perhaps the agency will send you a few nice bottles of cheer to soften the blow.

Hank
Old 11-13-2007, 03:35 AM

Hi there we were in a Minisuite on the sister ship Saphire and were lucky enough to be on the emerald deck which is below dolphin and has covered minisuites which was great as the weather in NZ was wet through the sounds and we were able to be on the balcony it is true the dolphin deck balconies are completely open and dont have much privacy but the suites themselves are beautiful you will still enjoy it I am sure Anne
Old 11-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Hello Murphy123; first, don't be too hard on your travel agent. You asked for the best mini-suite, and he got it for you, and even saved you some money by booking catagory AB right next to a AA. LisaP is correct: you have to lean over your railing and look down to see the Dolphin deck balconies. We have had Dolphin deck cabins several times and never felt uncomfortable about the balconies being uncovered. And the uncovered balcony gives you a much larger field of view and makes the cabin bright and cheerful. And on a 15 day cruise you will really appreciate the extra room.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:05 AM

Thank you f-mattox i am not upset with my travel agent she is wonderful and didnt know about the dolphin deck being open but i did let her know. She asked if i wanted to change but since i booked last dec there wasnt much left and absolutely no mini or regular suites. I dont think i will mind the open deck wont spend too much time there just evenings and mornings and the sun will be nice in the mornings and the sunset just as nice in the evenings. You are so helpful with any questions i have ever had in here and i do so appreciate it. Im sure we will have a wonderful time cruising and am looking so forward to it. Thanks once again
Old 11-16-2007, 06:53 AM

I agree totally with f-Mattox. We have been on several cruises and ALWAYS book a mini-suite on Dolphin, preferably mid-ship if available.

Dolphin mid-ship is best for rocky seas because you are centrally located. Less ship mouvement.

A mini-suite is worth the extra bucks because you have the extra room to sit around. Don't believe those folks who say they don't spend any time in their suite. The extra space is wonderful, and there are two seperate TV's.

Sure, the balconies are not covered and visible from up above. Who cares! Unless you are planning some extra-curricular activities on your balcony, you have all the privacy you need. We enjoy chatting with our neighbors on the balcony.

In my view, Dolphin mini-suites mid-ship are the way to go, and you need to thank your travel agent.

Have a great cruise!
Old 11-16-2007, 06:59 AM

Thank you bob and bev. Im so glad you enjoyed the dolphin mini suite as im sure we will. I certainly dont hold any grudge towards my ta she is awesome. I know we will enjoy our trip only wish it were tomorrow lol. Thanks again for your reply.

Closed Thread

Tags
350, balconies, covered, cruises, diagram, diamond, goldenprincess, half, mini, minsuite, princess, review, sq, suite, suites