Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 11:41 AM

I'm a first time cruiser, so after I booked my maiden voyage with Princess I started looking for websites where there were good people who have gone before me and could share their experience.

So I picked one of the more popular ones that comes up with a simple "critic" search.

After hanging out there for a while I've come to realize that this particular critic site seems to be home to some of the most negative and pompous stuckups I've ever had the displeasure of exchanging my time with. They can't seem to use the word "stupid" enough to describe folks from other countries, or people who just don't happen to know something they know. It's almost as though 50 or so stuffy old cranks from old money have staked their claim on the website and have made it a kind of exclusive club where using shades of bigotry in their speech is protected, and expressing shock or disapproval is immediately rewarded with banning. I just don't have any use for an unfriendly place like that.

I'm hoping this place is a little more laid back, a little less on its high horse, a LOT more respectful of people from 3rd world countries, to say nothing about good people from the US who just don't happen to be in the 3 Cruises a Year Club, and if it's not asking too much ... a little more fun. It's not as though you get a brochure that tells you what you're getting into when you're shopping around for a membership at one of these places. So I'm just asking right up front.

Is this the kind of place that accepts that sort of self indulgent, talking down the nose at smaller people? Or is this a place where anyone can play?
Old 02-26-2008, 12:06 PM

It sounds as thought you've been reading the newsgroups. I found the same thing about the ignorant responses but after a while of reading from the "regulars" whose opinions I can trust I sort them out from the downers. If all a person does is complain about everything I quickly disregard them from my list.
The same goes for the person who's been on 2 cruises & writes a report about how great the ship was. The food wonderful, the cabin steward was terrific, the waiters were wonderful- everything was wonderful & their opinions aren't worth that much either. I doubt if there's been a cruise yet where I couldn't find something to bitch about.
I haven't found that the regulars at cruise-chat are like the newsgroup people (yet) but you'll have to be the judge of that.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:07 PM
That's an interesting post. I'm relatively new to this site also, but can tell you that there are very nice people on this site as well as being very knowledgeable about cruising. I would think that anyone would be pleased with the wealth of information that is available here. That's my opinion.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:22 PM

I'm not so much concerned with whether cruisers are unrealistically optimistic, or they seem to bitch about everything.

What I don't like is when they treat people poorly.

Examples:

"The guy doing the tour was a complete moron, and couldn't speak a word of English!!!"

A statement like that tells me several things. 1) The person saying it is a bigot. The guy doesn't speak English because he lives in Croatia or something. 2) The person saying it thinks that when they travel the entire globe is some sort of present to them. It isn't. We're visiting other peoples' homes and if we don't learn some diversity and respect from traveling, my God we're totally screwed. And 3) The fact that anyone calling that bigot out is then piled on by 4 or 5 other members tells me the bigotry is pretty well engrained into the culture of that particular website.

I don't mind opinions about things, I don't care how wild or unrealistic they are. They're just opinions. I object to mean-ness.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Mark,

Welcome to cruise-chat.

We take a dim view of people who come here to unload their close-minded baggage on us, especially when it is insulting or dismissive of other cultures. Our Terms Of Service state that we are sophisicated and well-traveled. Well, perhaps but we don't like to be stuffy or holier-than-thou. I think you will like what we offer here.

Please note the Lido Deck area is for off-topic posts (as in not about cruises or ports), and we have several sections for the various topics.

Welcome!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:55 PM

Excellent, thank you kindly! Point taken about thread content for this section!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:12 PM

Hi Detroit Mark, welcome to Cruise-Chat. I do hope since you posted in the Princess section that you are going to take a cruise on a Princess ship. They are our favorite cruise line, so far. I think we have a great group of members here, with a lot of knowledge. I am more than happy to answer the same question hundreds of times, as long as it's about cruising It's my favorite vacation. I always end up taking a Caribbean cruise, but one day I do hope to venture over seas. I love the Caribbean because I love snorkeling, warm water, warm people, and white sand beaches. Oh, and the rum punches are pretty tasty too. I hope you'll stick around with us and contribute. We'll do our best to answer your questions. Best wishes and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:15 PM

Yes! Grand Princess, Rome to Venice & Greek Isles.

My partner and I have always done the "sand and sun" vacations so occassionally we like to forgo guaranteed weather and shoot for something new and amazing. Standing on the edge of Santorino with a demitas of turkish coffee would be life changing for me. I can't wait, I don't care if it's raning and 60!
Old 02-26-2008, 01:26 PM
I know what you mean about the other website. I also find some of the people exceedingly rude but I do go on the site to find specific information. I do find cruise chat much more pleasant.
You will enjoy the Grand Princess. My partner took his first cruise on her and it is his favourite ship so far. As most people on this site will warn you, cruising is addictive.
Santorini is spectacular.

Need some cruise help?
Old 02-26-2008, 01:39 PM

MAN does your photo look familiar!

You wouldn't happen to have worked for a chopper line in Maui recently would you? Former Iraqi pilot settled down doing civilan work? You look exactly like the nice lady that took us out. We had a blast with her.

Closed Thread

Tags
sabatinis