Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 AM

HI, I am from Spain (so, first of all, sorry for any mistake in my English) and soon I will cruise on the Mediterranean with the Pacific Sky (I remind you that PUllmantur Cruises, a Spanish Company has bought it) so I want you to give me some information about the ship. Also, I have heard that recently it has suffered some mechanical problems, so I will be very gratefull if someone could inform me if it has been solved and if it is sailing again. Thank you so much from Spain
Old 03-15-2006, 10:12 AM

HI, I am from Spain (so, first of all, sorry for any mistake in my English) and soon I will cruise on the Mediterranean with the Pacific Sky (I remind you that PUllmantur Cruises, a Spanish Company has bought it) so I want you to give me some information about the ship. Also, I have heard that recently it has suffered some mechanical problems, so I will be very gratefull if someone could inform me if it has been solved and if it is sailing again. Thank you so much from Spain
Old 03-15-2006, 10:52 AM

spanish girl,

welcome to Cruise-Chat.com.

Sadly, there are fairly few reports from "Pacific Sky" passengers around, as the product is marketed mainly in Australia, and most users of our forums are from either North America or Europe. Maybe some of our Australian users might be able to you, nonetheless.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-15-2006, 04:03 PM

spanish girl,

My wife and I have just finished our first cruise, a 7 day cruise out of Singapore on the Pacific Sky. About 4 hours into the cruise the ship experienced a problem in the starboard propulsion. We were at anchor in the Malacca Straits for 30 hours whilst hey tried to fix. We eventually made it to Port Kelang under portside propulsion only. We completed the cruise by missing 2 ports (Phuket and Malacca) and only 5 hours at Langkawi) under this arrangement (one prop) at around 10 knots. The boat was on a list for the voyage as I am sure the single prop imparted some unussual charateristics into the performance of the boat. As a result the Air Con was also not running that well and the pools were not filled until day 4 due to water quality.

I am aware that the problems appear to have been fixed in Singapore after our cruise, which finished on 11 March. The ship is now somewhere at sea north of Singapore.

I would suggest that you should check its progress, particularly when it is relocated to the med.

The good news is that it appears to be operating after the problems.

All the best

Howard
Old 03-16-2006, 02:20 AM

First of all, thank you all for your answers, and specially thanks to Aussie from Canberra for your experience. I will be alert about Pacific Sky crossing my fingers... jeje

Thank you again..... bye from Andalucía (South of Spain)
Old 03-17-2006, 11:02 PM

Pacific Sky does not have a very good reputation with regard to the behaviour of some of the passengers (often teenagers or early twenties types). This ship is mainly for that catergory of passenger. Do not use it if you want a peaceful time. Quite a few instances of drunkeness. Older folk please note.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:47 AM

I have recently travelled on Pacific Sky on a 14 day cruise in Asia, 7 days prior to Howard (no problems) and the same 7 day cruise he did. Yes Pacific Sky has had problems, however we chose this ship as we had such a good trip last year on the same ship. I am mid 50's , can find great quiet places for drinks etc. Teenagers were no problem usually stick to Disco area. Even with problems, had great time and communication from Captain excellent.
This is a definate " get to know your neighbour" ship.
Old 03-18-2006, 03:32 AM

Ozpax,

I don't think rowdy passengers will continue to be a problem once the ship has left the P&O Cruises Australia fleet. This is a P&O problem, not a problem with the ship itself.

The ship will cater to a completely different market in the future, after all.

Raoul Fiebig

Old 03-18-2006, 03:21 PM

Janellee

I agree with your comments.

My primary issue was the way the situation was handled by PO. Providing free alcohol was the wrong way to approach the situation.

Unfortunately we had planned the trip around revisiting Malacca, where I had lived for 2 years as a child and then Phuket , where my sun and girlfriend had visited, with a number of places to catch up. We were not that interested in Kl and Penang. As a result of the cruise we did gain a lot of usefull information - do not take a cruise if you want to visit particular places - as a consequence we have now rethought visiting the greek isles as part of a cruise - we will probably fly and do this locally. And research more closely the cruise company.

The Captain did communicate with the pax very often, unfortunately, the first time many of the crew found out what was happening was at the same time, this led to issues between what the crew were saying and what actually happened. I need to provide some significant praise on the shore tour desk - they did a fantastic job given the changes in dates, reduced times at ports when we did arrive etc.

I do think PO Australia really does need to review it practices and fully agree with Raoul, it will be a different market in the med. So any sugestions of companies that do not operate like PO Australia would be appreciated.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:43 PM

Guys

This is good feed back. I am booked to go on the Asia cruise on the 1st April and I have been watching the P&O Sky in the news very closely. Its our Honeymoon cruise so we were getting worried.

But by the sound of it, most of the trouble associated with the ship were all connected to the engine troubles and if they have that sorted out by now, hopefully our cruise will go off without a bang. This is our first ever cruise, so lets hope.

Any other advice you guys can give us on this cruise? Ie dress codes and the like?

One question I do have, is when doing the shore tours, and they suggest local currency, can you use your cruise card to buy some local currency?

Cheers in advance.

Brad

P.s - We are doing the western cruise up to Phuket.

Closed Thread

Tags
cyclone