Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2007, 01:51 PM

I am not really sure how we got upgraded. We did book a bit in advance. I have gone on Carnival 5 times and have never received this type of upgrade this quick - you know, without them running a past guest special. You don't hear me complaining.
Sorry veterancruiser39 - Didn't mean to spike some ill feelings you might have for Princess. I definitely would be angry if I was offered an onboard credit and they have them take it away.

Read and post cruise reviews

St. Maarten Hotels & Resorts

2003 Carnival Victory - Western
2004 Carnival Celebration
2005 Carnival Glory - Western
2006 Carnival Glory - Eastern
2007 Carnival Liberty - Western
2008 Star Princess - Alaska
Old 11-29-2007, 02:04 PM

Some lines have a system for how they distribute upgrades, most based on past passenger status. Princess' system is a random assignment system. They don't favor past passengers over first time cruisers with the upgrade process. It really doesn't matter when you book either. You can always increase your odds (with all cruiselines) by booking a guarantee assignment rather than an assigned cabin.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-29-2007, 05:25 PM
kkontny, I can't tell you much about the upgrade system; I've benn cruising with Princess for 30+ years and never had one. But then I always book very early (usually a year or more) and deposit a specific cabin. I have certain cabins and areas I like on the different ships. I don't like to leave it up to chance.

I find it interesting to hear Neil say the "system" is random. I would think they would want to favor their more loyal passengers; but then, maybe the more loyal passengers, like me, prefer to select their own cabins.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:12 AM
When we received the paperwork on our last cruise from the travel centre we booked through, there was an advisory saying that Princess is known for upgrading and if you choose a specific cabin you had to specifically ask not to be upgraded.
That travel centre, which we found through cruisecompete.com, also offered shipboard credits (which is why we took their offer) and we never got them. That was not a Princess error, but a broken promise by the travel centre. There was also other incentives offered to book through them which were ignored later, so we will never use them again.

Need some cruise help?
Old 11-30-2007, 09:40 AM

Jill, did you contact them about your missing OBC and other items when you got back? I work for an agency that also frequently offers such promotions. Being human, I have made errors in the past and missed clicking the tab on the booking process we use to get such items purchased by our Accounting Dept. When such an error is made the company, when notified of the mistake sends a check to clients in the amount of such errors.

There have also been times when a promo was not combinable with certain perks. Such a situation should have been disclosed up front before the booking was complete though. If this was recent, call the agency and let them know an error was made. One way to always be sure you'll get anything offered is to be sure such things show on your confirmation when you recieve it. I don't know anything about the agency you used but it may have been an innocent mistake.

Cheers, Neil
Old 11-30-2007, 10:07 AM

You can call a cruise line after you've made your final payment to check what (if any) perks you have. If you have an on board credit you'll be able to find out what the amount is. I always check prior to the cruise to make sure I get my stockholder credit. I also recommend finding a travel agent you feel comfortable with; one that specializes in cruises would be best.

Sonny

Old 11-30-2007, 10:42 AM

Sonny, that works with credits that are offered through the cruiseline for C&A and other purposes. OBC's that are from an agency may or may not show at the cruiseline until very close to sailing time. Often when we buy blocks of cabins there are perks that are given to the agency in the form of points. Sell the first 50 cabins get 21 points per booking. The next 25 booking into the block may get an add'l 6 or 8 points and so on. Then when the block is closed out the points are devided up evenly by the agency among the booking and the agency buys onboard credit and with any add'l points there may be bonus gifts like an 8x10 photo or a dinner at a specialty restaraunt or bottle of champaigne. Different cruiselines have different systems but the type of credit I think Jill is referring to is an agency credit. It may never show up on the cruiselines books until you arrive onboard but when the agency sends their form of a confirmation there is a spot on the conf for onboard credits and other amenities if any apply.

If you're entitled to them based on the advertising (usually a website blurb in red letters) it should be provided in writing when you recieve your confirmation. If there are cruiseline amenities they'll also show on the conf. The only point to all this is, if you don't get it in writing, it's time for a call to the agent. If you don't get it onboard once you have written verification you're entitled to it, it's an easy fix for the agency to get you compensation. I've had errors on my end, I've had cruiseline errors. Once you have it in writing you're going to get it no matter what happened. I've called the ship before and had it added during a clients cruise to fix such issues. When that's not possible a check to the client is the ultimate fix.

Cheers, Neil
Old 12-04-2007, 09:54 AM
the OBC and other incentives were not included when we got our paperwork and we asked about it then. First they denied offering it, but we had a copy of the cruise compete offer with it. Then they were going to check into it, but never got back to us before the cruise. Since then, we have been ignored. The cruise price was good and comparable to the other offers and the OBC wasn't that big, so it wasn't a huge deal that we didn't get it. It just means we won't deal with that agency again. We usually prefer another on-line agency, but they didn't have a good offer for this particular cruise.

Need some cruise help?
Old 12-04-2007, 04:17 PM

Hi again Jill, I'm familliar with the other agency you're referring to from your previous posts. Just as an FYI, they have a lowest price guarantee. If you see a similar situation in the future call your agent there and have him/her match the deal for you.

Cheers, Neil

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, d405, email, forums, golden, princess, upgrade