Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 AM

Hello,

I just booked my Princess cruise to Alaska. This is my first Alaskan cruise and it has be special since I will be taking my mom on her first cruise for her 60th birthday. I reviewed the ships excursion book is 69 pages for 3 ports . Does anyone have suggestions on what not to miss in these ports?

Thank you.
Old 11-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Hi to You,

I've been to Alaska 3 times and will go again next May...It is an experience you won't ever forget....If you are in Skagway, take the White Pass Railroad trip....It's amazing...In Juneau, the Mendenhall glacier and Whale watching is a great trip....There are tours that go to each one, or you can combine it all into one excursion...I go fishing in Ketchikan or just shopping....Just going to Alaska is the best part...Enjoy it...

Bob E
Old 11-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Hi elated, welcome to Cruise-Chat! Congratulations on your up-coming cruise! What a wonderful gift for your mom, do you want to adopt me

Wish I could help you with excursions, but have not sailed to Alaska. Since I abhor cold, I doubt I ever will. There is an Alaska Port section just a little further down the main page that may be of benefit. You can use your "Find" feature in the upper left hand corner, type in your ports, click on search and it will pull up all the posts made about them. You might be able to find something that interests you.

Hope you and your mom have a wonderful time and enjoy Princess as much as my hubby and I do. We have quite a few members on this board that have done the Alaska itinerary and they'll be happy to help as much as they can.

Best wishes for a wonderful cruise!
Old 11-12-2010, 08:41 AM

Congratulations, elated! You'll love your Alaska cruise. It's an incredibly gorgeous destination.

Where is your ship stopping?

If you glance through those 69 pages, you'll be able to rule out 3/4 of the excursions off the bat, depending on what you and your mother like to do. There are some basic "must see" places that are great for first timers. Let us know where you'll be, and we'll see if we can help.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandy:
Congratulations, elated! You'll love your Alaska cruise. It's an incredibly gorgeous destination.

Where is your ship stopping?

If you glance through those 69 pages, you'll be able to rule out 3/4 of the excursions off the bat, depending on what you and your mother like to do. There are some basic "must see" places that are great for first timers. Let us know where you'll be, and we'll see if we can help.
Hi Sandy,

We will be stopping in Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan. I have already gone through most of the book and made my choices. Now I am just waiting for my moms choices so we can compare. My concern is, for example, Skagway I have been told to take the train through Whitepass on our last cruise. When I look up the train ride it stops in Caribou Crossing or Bennett Lake or Liarsville... There are so many options that are differ slightly and I want to make sure I dont mess this one up. As for Ketchikan I want to do an offroad adventure into the forests, but we are only there for 5 hours and if there is something more magnificant to see I can definatly change things. I am sure my husband and I will make more trips up there, but not so sure my mom will. I want this to be an experience she wont forget.

Thank you for the help.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:07 AM

elated,
I took my Father on his first cruise to Alaska for his 75th birthday. I can assure you no matter what you do, your Mother will just be happy spending time with her daughter. The memories of sharing any experience will be priceless.

Closed Thread

Tags
advice, alaska, critiques, cruise, cruises, excursion, excursions, forum, miss, port, princess, recommendations, reviews, shore, sruise