Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2010, 04:57 PM

I have cruised on Holland America (small and large ships) and on RCL. I have loved each cruise. Price is influencing my next cruise in the Caribbean. Princess has the best price for a 7 day in a small balcony cabin so I am curious about the experience on a Princess cruise.

What are the differences between the 3 lines? I don't need a rock wall/jogging track etc. And of all the cruises I have been on I have yet to use the spa/exercise room. I just like to relax, people watch, and stroll the ship. But I do like to shake it up with my sweetheart in the disco at night.

Is Princess luxury like Holland America but fun line RCL?

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM

We love the Princess ships. We find it more relaxing and less hectic as the age group is more in the 50 or higher. You will find children on the ship and teens. We do not enjoy the fun ships. We have no need for the extra activities that some ships have.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:20 PM
I've been cruising Princess since 1974. I've been on one Holland America cruise a few years ago and absolutely loved it. I will even say I think HAL has the edge in quality and service--and it comes at a slightly higher price. I haven't tried RCL yet.

I think Princess has the right combination of quality and value. On a 7 day Caribbean cruise I think you'll find the night life a little livlier on Princess. And while I really do like the more traditional ambience of the HAL ships, or at least the one I was on--Veendam--I do think the Princess ships are more elegant. The one thing that keeps me from cruising HAL more often is the lack of affordable balconies on the smaller ships. Princess definitely has the edge there.

I think you will find that Princess is "luxury like Holland America but fun like RCL," without all the bells and whistles.

Rick
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 AM

I've sailed on Princes, RCI, and HAL among others. To me, Princess just does it right, but that is my opinion. Their ships are immaculate, the service is impeccable, and to my tastes the food is wonderful.

The ships do not have all the "glitzy" add-ons that RCI ships do. They have shops, extra fee restaurants, on some ships they have the International Cafe, on most ships the have the Sanctuary and I believe all ships have MUTS (movies under the stars). They have small, medium, large and extra large ships. On some of the ships they have the Sky Walker lounge, deck 14 or 15 (can't remember) all the way aft. They have plenty of dancing and they have piano bars on most of their ships. They have karaoke, and most of the activities of the mass market lines. What they also have is a wonderful ambience. It's not stuffy, but it's not yelling into the PA system 24/7. They have pool games, and it does get a little loud there, but they also have areas where there is peace and quiet.

I honestly don't think you'd regret going on Princess, at all. In fact, you might become hooked like we are
Old 09-27-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanks for your input Penny; we are looking forward to our first experience with Princess with two other couples. We have sailed RCI 4 times and Celebrity once. My brother, who has traveled the world extensively, was so taken with Princess last year that he was the one to
contact us for another cruise. We are overdue as our last cruise was in the spring of 2009. Already anxious and since summer is over here in the East, we are packing away our summer clothes, but keeping out for our February cruise.

Peterl

Read and post cruise reviews
Old 09-27-2010, 10:00 AM

Truthfully, they are my favorite. I've sailed on Carnival, Celebrity, HAL, NCL, Costa and Princess. It is just a perfect fit for me. I do hope you and your friends enjoy the Crown as much as we have enjoyed all of our cruises on Princess. We've sailed on the Sun, Dawn, Sea, Emerald, Caribbean, and Royal. The Sea is my favorite, but we've had wonderful times on all of them. I'm half way to elite by number of cruises, not sure about days, I've never added them up. That's another thing that Princess does that other lines don't. Your status does not just depend on number of cruises, you can earn your status by number of days as well. Most of our cruises have been 10, some 14, only one has been 7, so it adds up, too.

It's cold here today, too. I'm not ready to pack up the summer clothes, just yet, we might warm back up. I'm definitely not looking forward to the cold!
Old 09-28-2010, 04:31 AM

It's getting cold down here also. We hit the high 80's yesterday & for the first time all summer we won't touch the 90's all week.

Although it's been years since we've been another cruise line, Celerity's lunch in the buffet was better than Princess Horizon as I recall. They had serving stations set up each day where they would heat up you selection of pasta along with your choice of toppings. I also thing the fool was a little better than Princess but to be fair it was probably 8 years ago and things might have changed since then. I do remember them grabbing my tray as I exited the buffet at every meal which I didn't like. They practically fought you for it.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:28 AM

We went on the Sun Princess in 1997 when she was brand new and loved it. We have not done another Princess cruise yet be we need to start looking at them. If we ever get to go to Alaska, it will be on Princess unless we change our mind.

1992 MV Royal Majesty
1993 MV Royal Majesty
1996 Sun Princess
2007 Liberty of the Seas
2010 Navigator of the Seas
2010 Radiance of the Seas
Old 10-01-2010, 06:37 AM

I have been exploring the Princess web site and have questions about their fleet. They are not categorized like the RCL ships.
Is the Caribbean Princess the largest ship in the Princess fleet? Does she have any sister ships?
Are the Ruby, Diamond, Sapphire and Emerald all sister ships with the same layout and passenger capacity of 2670? Do they all have the Piazza?

Navigator of the Seas 2010
Serenade of the Seas 2009, 2011
Eurodam 2008
Maasdam 2007
Amsterdam 2006
Zuiderdam 2004
Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 AM
It is a little confusing, I know. The seven largest ships are usually referred to as Grand Class. Of these, Grand Princess, Star Princess and Golden Princess are sisters with a capacity of 2600. Caribben Princess, Crown Princess, Emerald Princess and Ruby Princess are nearly identical to Grand, Star and Golden except there is an additional deck of cabins (Riviera), and Skywalker's Nightclub does not hover over the stern like a giant spoiler, except for Caribbean Princess, which kept Skywalker's all the aft. Caribbean's capacity is largest at 3100; Crown, Emerald and Ruby are only slightly less at 3070.

Diamond Princess and Sapphire Princess are sisters and sort of an amalgam of the two other styles--there is no Riviera Deck and Skywalker's is not all the way aft. Their stated capacity is 2670.

Island Princess and Coral Princess are sisters, and completely unique from the other large ships. The ambience and furnishings are very similar but the layout is different.

The Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby were built with the Piazza. It has since been added to Star and Golden, and soon to the Grand. Island and Coral do not have the Piazza per se, but their Atrium Plaza is much the same idea.

I hope this helps a little.

Rick

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, princess