Cruise Reviews Forums

Cruise Reviews Forums (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/)
-   Princess Cruises (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/)
-   -   Grand Princess (http://www.cruisereviews.com/forum/princess-cruises/23775-grand-princess.html)

Mebs 11-03-2010 08:00 AM

We are cruising on the Grand december 6th 2010 and am hearing that a lot of people are having problems....toilets not working, AC not working, elevators have a mind of their own...and no one wants to do anything about it.
Has anyone any info that may help us relax and enjoy th 14 days onboard http://cruise-chat.com/groupee_commo...icon_smile.gif
Thank you.

penny3333 11-03-2010 11:25 AM

I've been on 9 Princess cruises and can guarantee you that someone does care and does do something about problems on board. Any ship is like a hotel and things do break. Most complaints you read/hear are from those who are seeking a free cruise by whining. They feel that they "deserve" compensation and what was done is never adequate for them.

The Grand is the first in the Grand Class of Princess ships. She gets refurbished at regular intervals, but they paint, change out carpets, mattresses, chairs, and many other things daily.

I am sure you have nothing to worry about. If you experience a problem, call down to guest services immediately. A smile, kind word and a pleasant request will go miles at having your problem resolved quickly.

We've had a few things break down on our cruises, it's never taken them more than 4 hours to fix anything. They couldn't have been more efficient and more pleasant and apologetic.

We just got off the Epic. She's a brand new ship and 2 of the 4 elevators in one bank were out of order. It happens. As soon as they got the parts, they replaced them and the elevators went back into service.

Please don't worry. You'll have a marvelous time.

f-mattox 11-03-2010 11:56 AM

On our recent Golden Princess cruise a ceiling light started flickering, like it was about to go out. I left a note for the steward when we left for breakfast and an hour later when we returned, it had been replaced. Now a plumbing or AC problem might take a little longer; but I assure you someone does care--very much.

Sonny V 11-04-2010 08:56 PM

If no one wanted to do anything about fixing a problem the cruise line wouldn't be in business very long. Sure, there are things that can go wrong, but from what I've experienced, the maintenance staff has always been prompt. Some people aren't happy unless they can complain about something. Don't worry - your toilet will flush, your AC will work, and the elevators won't have a mind of there own. I will also be on a ship for 14 days, and the last thing I'll think about is a maintenance problem spoiling my vacation because I know there will be someone there to solve any problems. I hope you will enjoy your cruise as much as I intend to enjoy mine.

Sonny

RichC 11-05-2010 07:30 AM

We were on the Grand in Feb & are going back on the same trip as you are. Yea, there are things that are wrong with the ship but most times unless you're looking hard for the defects it won't be of major concern. We had a balcony earlier this year with rotted partitions (as far as I could see they were terrible shape) & I told my neighbor about it & when he returned two weeks ago he said his balcony was fine.
The AC in the anytime DR was broken on our trip & was set to full on. We practically froze in the DR every night. MY wife resorted to wearing a sweat shirt almost all the time in the DR. I haven't heard much about the problem but I'd assume is has to be fixed by now any my neighbor didn't notice a thing wrong.
I also read about a recent trip about two weeks ago where people on the forward elevator were soaked by a flood. I can't begin to imagine how that happened but I'm sure it was a one time occurrence. They did have some problems with the rear elevators being out of service for a brief time.
All things considered I doubt if the trip will be a total disaster the way some would have you believe & unless you start looking around for minor items that need replacement I'm sure it'll just turn out to be just another typical Princess cruise.
btw- the food was great. (as usual)

Mebs 11-05-2010 05:15 PM

Thank you everyone for the valueable input.
This is going to be out 17th cruise with Princess and 4th on the Grand.
Thank you again.

Sonny V 11-05-2010 09:38 PM

With all those cruises, have you ever had any problems?

Sonny

f-mattox 11-06-2010 12:24 AM

Just what I was wondering, Sonny; after reaching Elite status you would think Mebs would know what to expect.

Mebs 11-06-2010 02:30 PM

Yes we have.
Posted February 08, 2010 10:16 AM

This was our 16th cruise with Princess...we are loyal customers The 3rd on the Emerald Princess and the level of service has degraded from cruise to cruise.....only on this ship.
They forgot a millenium birthday. We booked this cruise just for the birthday.....no balloons....no cake.
We have made a complaint through our Princess rep.
Our cabin guy...who we did not see throughout the cruise did not do a decent job of cleaning our cabin.
Our dining room guys were too busy looking at womens cleavages...never offered fresh ground pepper on any of my meals....service...poor.
Captains circle party invitations show up 10 hrs between each other.
Post cruise excursions forms never showed up in our cabins.
Bar service....did not know how to mix a Mai Tai.
Ordered hot chocolate....got a paper cup with hot water and a pouch of powder chocolate...I refused and made the guy do it right. Its not free...we pay for it...so why dont we get what we should.
Its only on the Emerald.
Had a fabulous time on the Grand doing Aegean and Egypt..
I just wanted to know on the Grand since so many people on cruise critics complain about it.
Thank you.

RichC 11-06-2010 03:39 PM

On our Emerald cruise 2 weeks (also our third trip) ago we didn't even notify them of a birthday & out cabin steward happened to see a birthday card hanging from our mirror & set out balloons without asked. They also sang happy birthday in Sabatini's with just a simple notification upon entering. We saw so much of our cabin steward I wish he would have gotten lost for a while each day and were constantly making him move in the hallway.
Anytime dining couldn't have been better or faster if we had asked for it.
Captains circle invitations showed up right on schedule. After 15 cruises on Princess you should just about know which night to expect the party. Although there might be more than one party, you can choose which you'd like to go to or do all three if you like.
Drink servers will tailor any drink to you taste - even one that doesn't taste quite right. Our waiter in the Explorers lounge one evening didn't hesitate to fix my wife's drink- all you have to do is ask.

I don't expect the Grand to be any different.