Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2007, 02:29 PM

I'm currently booked on the port side of the Sapphire Princess for a Northbound Alaskan cruise, but I'm starting to think I made a mistake. Does anyone have any opinions on this? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Hello jerseygirl1962; this question comes up a lot and the conventional wisdom is, "Northbound--starboard; Southbound--port." But I'm here to tell you that, like much "conventional wisdom", this is not so. If you look at a navigational map of Alaska (not the one in the brochure) you will see that there is land everywhere--especially in the Inside Passage; so one side is as good as the other. And at points of interest like Glacier Bay, the Captain will slowly spin the ship so everyone gets a good look.

Is this your first cruise on Sapphire Princess? I love that ship. I was on it last year and am going again next October.

Have a great cruise!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 PM

Thanks for your advice. Yes, this is my first time on the Sapphire Princess and I'm really looking forward to it. When I realized that I'd booked port when I "should have" booked starboard, I started to freak out! I guess I'll calm down now!

Any opinions on aft versus amidship? Right now I'm aft because the only cabin available amidship was right next to the self-service laundry. Is it even worth the money to try to move up if a cabin amidship (not near the laundry) becomes available?

One last question: Any thoughts on booking a day tour through Princess once we dock in Whittier before our flight leaves from Anchorage? I was thinking about booking the transfer through Princess and my TA mentioned that sometimes Princess offers these day tours. Thanks!
Old 11-06-2007, 06:17 PM

F-Mattox.. long time no see, welcome back. I always enjoy your posts.

Gary

Old 11-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Gary, thank you very much; it's nice to be back.

jerseygirl1962, on Sapphire Princess, my preference is aft, simply because most of my favorite places are aft: the Horizon Court, the Traditional dining room (International), the Terrace Pool and Outrigger Bar, and Club Fusion; amidship is good too, but you have to walk to almost everything (not that walking is a bad thing)--I just don't think it's worth the extra money. And you were very wise to avoid the laundromat; those areas can be noisy and humid.

I have not been to Anchorage but I have had nothing but good experiences with Princess transfers and tours. And I understand there is usually a long layover between debarking and flights out, so a day tour sounds like a good idea.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by f-mattox:
It's nice to be back.
Yes, it's nice you're back.

I wish you were involved in nothing but a long African Safari or - anonimously - on the Space Shuttle recent cruise.

Was A'ndrea with you ? Seems to me it's a long time she's AFK ...
Old 11-07-2007, 04:18 AM

I echo the comment about them port/starboard for Northbound/Southbound. There may be some small differences, but in general for most of the trip you will see from balconies on both sides.

If you use the Princess transfers, you will move relatively efficiently. As I recall, there are Princess day tours on disembarkation which will take you through the destination and end up at the airport.

Have fun. Alaska is amazing!
Old 11-07-2007, 04:33 AM

Glad to see f-mattox back also! I have missed your informative and useful posts, Rick.
Ellie
Old 11-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Thank you Ellie, it's great to be back. And I very much appreciate the concern you expressed during the fires. I'm sorry for the disruption in your life, but I guess all is well with you once again.

Rick
Old 11-07-2007, 01:44 PM

Rick, Group hug.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, alaskan, carnival, cruise, cruises, northbound, port, princess, remember, reviews, room, sapphire, side, southbound, starboard