Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 04:14 PM

Hi again. I was wondering if anyone can give me any tips on how best to get around the ship? I havent been on such a big one before (only done economy no comparison I know!) and I am concerned my ageing mum and I (not so ageing but no spring chicken!) will struggle to find out where everything is as only 10 day cruise and we stop off most days (2 at sea). Will there be signs to navigate around?

Also - although I have now paid in full (sailing May 22 cant wait!) havent yet received any info regarding trips etc. When can I expect them to arrive ? I really appreciate all your experience as I feel what I am, a novice cruiser, compared to you all!
Old 03-13-2007, 04:53 PM
Hello again, blue eyes;
not to worry: there will be pocket directories in your cabin that you can carry with you and a very clear and simple ship directory at every elevator and stairway lobby. And you can seldom walk 10 steps without passing a crew member who can help you.
But what will probably be the most help is to spend some time with the deck plans before you go. Before going on a new ship I make photocopies of the deck plans from the brochure and then highlight the areas I'm likely to visit. I make notes, paying attention to things like, is it fore or aft, port or starboard, and I study their relation to each other so I don't waste a lot of steps. You certainly don't have to get this involved, but spend at least as much time getting familiar with your ship as you do selecting your shore excursions.
My final payment was due 75 days before sailing and I received my pre cruise package 67 days before sailing. So you should be receiving yours any day. If you don't get them soon call your travel agent or Princess for an update.
Once again, have a great cruise.

Oh yes; if you do make notes on a deck plan, be sure to take it with you--it won't do you any good at home.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:08 PM

We are at 61 days before our Alaska cruise, May 12th, and haven't received any shore excursions books,luggage tags, etc. and we book directly with Princess.

Use the Cruise Personalizer to select your excursions now - do not wait for the booklet. You also should be able to print out your itinerary and boarding passes assuming you have entered all the required information including credit card.

You will not have as much trouble as you think finding your way around the ship. Carry the deck card with you. Most of the public rooms are located on several decks and there is always the center atrium to go up and down to these. When you get off an elevator walk left or right and look at the signs on the wall and they will tell you what is where. The show lounges are mainly forward and aft. Horizon Court buffet and pools are on the upper decks.

Good advice by f-Mattox to look at the deck plans either in the brochure or on the internet and get a general idea of where things are.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 03-13-2007, 05:35 PM

I must say that I am terrible at directions and get "turned around" very easily. Those darn ships confuse the heck out of me! (Of course I'm not too good at reading maps either.) My husband thinks it's hilarious that I can't figure out how to get from here to there. But that's okay. I still LOVE to cruise, and can't wait for my next one!
Old 03-14-2007, 11:46 AM

thanks everyone, good advice as always! I did think about pre booking excursions but am concerned if have to cancel say if my mother felt unwell. Do they give refunds?

I take your advice regarding studying the ship and certainly will do that many thanks.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:04 PM

On Princess you can pre-book excursions and you don't pay until the end of the cruise.

So you can cancel up till 48 hrs before your tour. I like Princess for this option, as it makes things easier to decide.

You may talk to people that have done the excursions for tips also.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blue eyes:
thanks everyone, good advice as always! I did think about pre booking excursions but am concerned if have to cancel say if my mother felt unwell. Do they give refunds?

I take your advice regarding studying the ship and certainly will do that many thanks.
This is how Princess pre-booking shore excursions works: Go to Personalizer and select the ones you want. You are not charged when you do this. When you arrive on the ship you will find the excursion tickets in your stateroom. At that time they put them on your shipboard account. This account is paid for at the end of the cruise usually by the credit card you have provided. There will be a posted date and time by which you will need to cancel and get a credit back to your shipboard account. This is usually about 1-2 days before the tour. If your Mother is not feeling well the day of the excursion you will still be charged if she doesn't go. If you wait until you get on the ship the excursions you want might be all booked. Even on the ship you have to sign up in advance and the same cancellation time applies.

Read the excursions carefully. If your mother is unable to do a lot of walking or stairs there are frequently excursions which are not more strenuous than a bus ride.

If I'm correct you are doing a Baltics cruise round trip from Copenhagen including Oslo on the Star Princess May 22nd? If it isn't please forgive me for posting the following: We are doing the same cruise but in Sept. and I signed up for our excursions mid February. In Russia you can't even get off the ship without having either a Princess excursion or an Independent Tour booked or you will need to get expensive Russian Visas before your cruise. There will be shuttles to town at several of the ports and Tallin is really the only one within walking distance from the ship.

Assuming this Baltics cruise is the one that you are taking it would be a shame to go all of that way and just sit on the ship.

Future cruises:
Past cruises:
Old 03-16-2007, 05:09 PM

thanks everyone. I intend to book excursions this weekend. Has anyone done the one that goes around the Jewish quarter in st. petersburg? And on the one where they state "time for shopping" how do they allow this when they are so strict about tourists? Is it just a way of saying "we will take you to our (exhorbitant) tourist shop!"

A lot of the trips in russia are to churches, which is fine if you like them - whilst appreciating the architecture I dont know why Princess stay so long here and only give a measly few hours in #Tallin which I believe is lovely and would warrant longer. Oh Well!! Will have to make do with the time allotted! Are there shuttles at all ports? Would love to hear of any recommended trips if anyone has done the Baltic run preferably with not too much walking although a little is ok.

Thanks for the advice on cancellation. I am sure that will be fine, and it does seem much better than queuing up at the Percers desk. I am getting quite excited now, and hope the Baltics live up to my expectations - I am sure the Star wont dissappoint from what you have all said.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 PM

Here is a link where you might find many answers to your questions and reccomendations from others that have been to this Baltic region. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

Future cruises:
Past cruises:

Closed Thread

Tags
amsterdam, church, cruise, excursions, experience, holy, land, medegypt, princess, reviews, service, star, tours