Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 10:31 PM

I did the Celebrity Summit LA/Hawaii round trip in January 2006. The ship was impeccable, service was excellent and dining was a real pleasure. For me, dinner conversation with your table mates is one of the highlights of the cruise experience. I have a cruise scheduled on the Sapphire Princess next month and was disappointed to learn I have been wait listed for main dining.

Celebrity offered excellent enrichment programs with knowledgeable lecturers on everything from finance and investing to Broadway composers. They also had a Hawaiian Ambassador on board who gave a series of interesting presentations about each port and Hawaiian culture in general. But, I really, really liked the way Celebrity handled the shows. There are two performances each night, so it does not matter whether you have early or late seating. We went every night but the first formal night (tuxedo malfunction) and I must admit that we enjoyed each and every one. Even those we came expecting not to. I understand that theater capacity is a problem on Princess, so I hope that doesn't spoil my upcoming voyage. Ice cream was free on the Summit, but the station was not always open. Similarly, although there is almost always food available somewhere and Room Service is available 24/7, there is no all-night buffet like Princess advertises.

As far as the weather is concerned, jff50 has it right. At that time of year, it is kinda just a matter of luck the first couple days out and back. It can be a little rough and chilly.

I thoroughly enjoyed my voyage.

Jim
Old 03-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Yes Princess advertises a 24 hour buffet, but it pains me to have to report that after 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. it's pretty slim pickins--usually a few leftover desserts and some tired cold cuts; you are better off with room service.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:59 AM

The buffet food selections on the Caribbean Princess would change at 11 PM to deserts & sandwiches. This wasn't usually a big deal since we weren't that hungry anyway but if they were removing something like carved turkey or a ham & replacing it with a salami or ham & cheese sandwich I felt shortchanged.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
RichC, I'm with you. Calling it a buffet after 11:00 is a bit of a stretch.
Whether or not we're hungry is irrelevant--although like you, it was no big deal. But the few times I was up in the wee hours and feeling a bit peckish, it was a disappointment.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned

DIAMOND PRINCESS, NO COMPARISON IN SHIPS...the Summit was very nice in it's day. It's has passed.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by thomas stanton:
DIAMOND PRINCESS, NO COMPARISON IN SHIPS...the Summit was very nice in it's day. It's has passed.
I know this was posted back in march but it gave me a smile.....why i hear you say
because I think this is the same thomas stanton who made a HUGE outburst against princess in june/july 2004, even ending with the words no matter how cheap a princess cruise is I will never book a cruise with them....or something like that.....

and here we are in 2007 and hes supporting princess...the cruise line he was raging against less than 4 years ago.....
just goes to show .....time goes on ...and sometimes people change their minds....and princess is still doing ok

I doubt if thomas will see this but its nice to know he can put aside his dislike of princess cruises to make a positve reply when necessary
Old 10-06-2007, 12:04 PM

Hi IanR i have never cruised with princess but am cruising on Mar 2nd on the diamond princess on a 15 day hawaii cruise out of Los Angeles. I have been told this is a great cruise we have a mini suite which most say is very nice so am looking forward to it.

St. Maarten Resort Reviews
Old 10-07-2007, 05:44 AM

If you are flying to the port, then the very nice self service laundry rooms with washers, driers, and irons on Princess ships is a deciding factor for me. This is a long cruise, and the convenience of not having to pack for 14 or 15 nights, but being able to do laundry a couple of times is a deal maker for me. (
Also nice to be able to quickly iron something that is wrinkled. No Celebrity or Royal Caribbean ships have guest laundry rooms.

I was on the Regal Princess in August for the same cruise you are contemplating, and it was fabulous. You will be on what is considered a much nicer ship, certainly much newer. My vote; gor for Princess.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:23 AM

We are going on the Diamond Princess in 2009 on the Asian tour, never cruised before any tips.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:02 AM

Hi baggy2508, welcome to Cruise-Chat. There are tons of tips and suggestions on this website. You can use your search feature and look for new cruisers, tips, etc. What a wonderful way to start off your cruise experience. I do hope you enjoy Princess as much as we do. We've sailed on NCL, RCL, HAL, Costa, Carnival, and Princess and truly feel Princess does it best. The Diamond Princess is a beautiful ship and I hope you enjoy your experience. The biggest piece of advise I have is to relax and enjoy. Don't try to do everything there is to do, unless you just want to exhaust yourself. Read your Princess Patter (the news letter left in your cabin) and choose what sounds the best. For ports we have not visited before, we normally book our excursions through the ship. A lot of people will swear that doing them on your own is the way to go. I do some on my own, when I return to a port if it's easy to get around. If it is somewhere that I don't speak the language, or have never been, I feel more confident in booking through the ship. It's not that much more expensive and I know they've researched the vendors. Once again, welcome on board. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. We will do our best to help. Best wishes!

Closed Thread

Tags
celebrity, diamond, princess