Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2008, 11:50 AM

Hi To all, my name is John from Perth Australia, I am going on my 1st cruise at the end of the year (Diamond Princess 19 nights Bangkok to Sydney)) A few qustions (the 1st of many LOL)
Is it worthwhile hiring the TUX on board?
What is the price for a reasonable bottle of wine on board?

If you have the late sitting dinner, do you miss out on the shows.

Well, that all for now,
safe sailing to all
Warm regards JOHN
Old 04-18-2008, 12:27 PM

Hi John and welcome to Cruise Chat.

How exciting that you're taking your first cruise! And it sounds like a fantastic ship and itinerary.

If you want to wear a tux, and you either don't own one or don't want to carry it with you, renting a tux is a good option. However, not all men will be wearing tuxedos. A substantial number of men will be in a suit and tie. You can decide which way you want to dress for formal nights and go from there.

There are two identical shows at night, one for main seating and one for late seating. You won't miss anything by choosing late seating.

Perhaps someone else can answer the wine question for you.

Sandy
Old 04-19-2008, 07:40 AM

Hi Sandy thank fro the reply, Yes I am very excited about my 1st cruise.. think I may rent a TUX on-board, then I can ask for my martini shaken lol
Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 PM

Hi John,

Regarding the wine, you will have choices similar to a restaurant. Prices will cover all ranges from about the mid $20 US to as much as you would like to spend.

If you do not drink an entire bottle at your dinner, they cork it and will offer you the remainder of the bottle at the next dinner.

We have enjoyed signing up for the wine tasting. Generally there is a wine tasting the first or second day on ship and the cost has been $10 per person. On longer cruises, like yours, they may be offering a second wine tasting later and the wines are much finer, and the cost for that has been $25 per person, but you are drinking $100++ wines. I have done both and enjoyed it.

I like your idea of going for the martini bar.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Hello, John;

reds and whites run from $23 to $48; champagnes range from $27 to $171. I like the Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir at $29. There are also premium wines not on the wine list that are available by special request.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:06 AM

John, I second Irene's suggestion for the wine tasting. They normally do 6 wines. We go to both of them and they let you keep the glasses (1 per person). I hope you enjoy Princess as much as we do, they our favorite line, so far. They have 2 shows an evening, so no worry there. Sounds like a fantastic itinerary. Have a wonderful cruise!
Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 AM

John,

I should mention how to sign up for the wine tasting.

On past cruises we have signed up at two locations. First, as you are exploring the ship to see where everyting is, stop by your restaurant and see the Maitre d'. Ask him about the wine tasting and he can sign you up at that time.

The second location we have signed up for wine tasting is again on the first day after arriving on ship we always go to the deck, normally the pool deck, for the buffet. At the entrance of the buffet area across from the elevators will be a bar waiter at a table with a display of wines. He or she will sign you up for the wine tasting.

Both locations will have the wine list for you to review to see if your favorites are on the list.

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 AM

Thanks so much to everone for the feedback :-)

Irene and Penny, I WILL be at the wine tasting.. pity only six wines... Went to the Shearton wine show "gold" room.. had somw fantstic wines.. including the all eluisive A "good" pinot noir (something The Kiwi's are getting very good at .

To f-mattox , thank you for an idea on the pricing, sounds very reasonable, abottle of wine for around $40 when eating out sounds very fair..

Hope life is treating everyone well

Cheers JOHN
Old 04-25-2008, 06:28 AM

John, if you don't finish your wine at dinner, they will recork it and serve it at dinner the following evening so none goes to waste. I usually drink chardonnay and have had some good wines for under $30 on board.

Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, diamond, feedback, list, package, packages, princess, selection, ship, tasting, wine