Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2008, 11:47 AM

We are in the process of booking a 7 day northbound cruise Vancouver to Whittier. Our travel agent has suggested that we go in July or August, but my partner would prefer to go in May and save a few dollars. I have heard that there is a good chance of fog in May, and am concerned about that. Can anyone offer any insight into cruising Alaska in May? More specifically: what was the weather/fog, was it excessively busy etc.
Thank you very much!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Hello 1_travel_lover, and welcome to cruise-chat;

the weather in Alaska is really hit-and-miss; you can have great weather in May and rain or drizzle in July and August. But there is a reason the prices go up toward mid-summer and down again toward September: that is when you have the best chance of good weather (and of course demand is higher in mid-summer).

I'm looking at last season's brochure so the numbers will be a little different, but I see a $540 difference between a May 12 sailing and June 23 through August 4 sailings for a deluxe oceanview on Diamond or Sapphile Princess; but there are sailings on June 9 and August 18 for only $200 more than the May 12. I would not pay $540 more for a prime-time sailing; but I would pay $200 more for a just slightly less than prime-time sailing. Are you still with me?

In short, when you are paying that much for a cruise, I would spend a couple of hundred more for a much better chance of good weather.

Keep in touch; let us know what you decide.

Rick
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM

Hi 1_travel_lover, welcome to Cruise-Chat. The one thing you can't predict is the weather. The one thing you can predict is that you will have a wonderful adventure. Just make sure you take a water-proof jacket with a zip out lining and you'll be set. Fog can happen any time, yes chances are less in the peak season, but it doesn't mean it can't happen. I have quite a few friends that lived in Alaska. They have all told me the weather changes in the blink of an eye. We look forward to seeing what you select. Best wishes for a wonderful cruise and once again, welcome aboard!
Old 03-12-2008, 02:42 PM

Have made 4 trips to Alaska
Mid May - Sunny weather
Mid June - Rained all week
Mid July - 1st week rained all week
2nd week Sunny weather
So it's realy a crap shoot. If you wan't nice weather try the Caribbean.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:47 PM

If you weren't planning on this year, I can let you know how foggy it is when I get back. I am on the Coral Princess' 1st Southbound trip of the season....
Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
I did the Alaskan cruise 2nd week of May, on the 2nd sailing of the season because it was a good price. The 2 days before the cruise in Vancouver were sunny and hot. The first day cruising the inside passage it rained. 2nd day in Ketchikan it rained, but since that is the rainest spot in North America chances are it will rain there. 3rd day in Juno it was foggy in the morning and then cleared up in the afternoon. 4th day in Skagway it sprinkled just a little in the morning and then cleared up into a gorgeous sunny day. 5th and 6th and 7th days when cruising Glacier Bay and College Fjord it was sunny. It was cool, temperatures in the 35 to 45 (F) degree range, but we layered up and even had breakfast out on the balcony in Glacier Bay.

Need some cruise help?
Old 03-12-2008, 05:20 PM

Thank you everyone for being so warm and welcoming! I appreciate everyone's input-it is making this whole process a lot easier.
Thanks again!
Old 03-12-2008, 08:36 PM

Just another comment, we went last year on June 9th and the weather was great. No rain or fog the whole 7 days on the ship, plus on the land tour it was sunny and HOT the whole time. It was 95F in Fairbank on June 21st. So just wanted to put my two cents in.
Thanks, Keith
Old 03-13-2008, 06:31 AM

We've only been there once in mid Aug. - 75 during the day (in Fairbanks to Seward) We did have one day of rain in Talkeetna but in general we had great weather & needed nothing more than a lite jacket & sweatshirt. In Fairbanks they had the first day of frost when we arrived. Short summer !
Old 03-13-2008, 06:32 AM
I'll add my two cents also (that's about all its worth anyways We went in late May several years back. Rained probably half the days (more like a misty rain), with one of the days being a hard, blustery rain. And there was some fog, but again, it didn't put a damper on the fun we had. In fact, we enjoyed frolicking in the rain like little kids! We still had an unbelievable time.

Closed Thread

Tags
2nd, alaska, alaskan, cruise, cruises, fog, foggy, rain, season, time, weather, week