Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2005, 03:36 PM

We are leaving on N/S Alaskan cruise on the 26th. What are some good port excursions? Thanks
Old 08-09-2005, 03:44 PM

Winman,

Done 2 Princess Cruises to Alaska.
Somewhere there are posts about tours, but, let me tell you the ones I highly recommend.

Juneau - Mendenhall Glacier Helicopter Ride & Walk About. This was awesome. To actually get out & be able to walk on the glacier was great. They have more active glacier tours, but, this was fine for me. Be sure to dress in layers & warmly, as it can be quite cold on top.

The tram downtown is good to get great pictures. If you have a clear day.
Be sure to save time for a stop at the Red Dog Saloon.

Skagway - White Rail Pass train ride is excellent. Again, save time to wander downtown.
Good shops & taverns for an Alaskan Amber.

Ketchikan - Misty Fjords Seaplane Ride was excellent. I love to walk around & shop here too.

I have not personally done the whale watching or nature tours. However, friends have done them enjoyed it. Also if you enjoy fishing they also do some great expeditions.

Hope this helps. I typically am a sun person, but, really enjoyed the splendor & beauty of Alaska. Glacier Bay is just magnificent.
I prefer Glacier Bay to Tracey Arm, based on my cruises.

What ship are you going on??
Do enjoy

Link to my webshots:
http://community.webshots.com/user/s...host=community
Old 08-10-2005, 08:59 AM

Skagway is known for the White Pass Railway and trips into the Yukon. There are also great flight tours from here. You can also catch a tour over to Haines from Skagway.

Juneau is also known for flight tours and is an excellent place to do whale watching tours. Mendenhall Glacier is worth going to. You can go here by local bus trips for about $10. You can also get trolley rides for about $10 for an all day pass to get on and off and look around town.

Ketchikan is known for the totem parks as well as fishing. Again there are many flight tours here. The lumberjack show is close to the ships and can be fun. Kayaking tours are big here as well.

Skagway and Ketchikan can be walked in a fairly short amount of time but are well worth checking out on foot. Juneau is a little more modern and a little more spread out so it takes a little longer to check out.

I have cruised Alaska many times and I am going back next year. The only thing I have ever done twice is whale watch tours. I always find something new and interesting to do in Alaska.

Closed Thread

Tags
alaska, cruise, fjords, forum, kayaking, ketchikan, misty, nature, tours, vs