Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2009, 11:13 AM
It looks like Carnival is on the verge of ordering a new prototype ship for Princess. The article is mostly about the new ship for Carnival Cruises; but go to the very last paragraph: it says the order will most likely be placed by the end of this year for delivery in 2013. I'm hoping for something around Grand Class size or smaller; but I know that's not realistic. Just so they don't try to outdo Oasis and Alure.

See the article here
Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Maybe they'll start the Behemoth Class with the next one? I would rather see some new Sun Class ships, but that's just me.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the article Rick. I am curious as to what the prototype ship will be as well. I'm guessing it may be along the same tonnage as the Dream. You never know though.

Dwayne
Old 12-02-2009, 12:17 PM
Penny, I'm with you on something closer to Sun Class; but I think Dwayne is probably right. The Dream design seems to be working well. Pretty soon Carnival, Costa and Princess are all going to look the same :-)
Old 12-04-2009, 10:28 AM
I've read that Alan Buckelew (Princess Cruises president )has said that they have designed a new prototype that is based largely for the design of the Ruby Princess. "The new ship would be a bit longer and would comply with new stability rules," Buckelew says.

I also read that he said that there are no plans to make huge differences with the current ships as Princess like to operate a very consistent fleet.

Princess are looking at a number of shipyards including one in Japan.
As far as I am aware, no decision has been made yet.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:09 AM

Thank you for the information jack2007. I loved the Emerald Princess, but she was a bit hard to get around. You had to go up or down to get from one end to the other on lots of the decks. I know it's all about packing as many on board as possible to increase revenue, but your itineraries are limited, lines are longer for everything, and you lose the personal touch cruising is known for. Bigger is not always better.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:44 AM

It's just my feeling but I think RCI is a little disappointed with the public reaction to the Oasis. It seems to be loved by some of the RCI die hards but Princess folks don't seem all that impressed. Only time will tell if they can keep all those cabins filled each week.
I might be tempted to try it when they offer discounted prices but my wife call me nuts to even think of it.
Old 12-20-2009, 01:22 PM

Well Princess is moving the Royal Princess to P&O cruises in 2011 so maybe they are but maybe not but i think they should make another, The Explorer Class in my opinion should get a new Ship
Old 12-23-2009, 08:11 AM

We were next to the Oceana in a couple of our ports. She is the old Ocean Princess, which was a Sun Class ship. My face lit up when I saw here, what a fantastic ship layout!

I'm sure they're going to keep building the huge ships, more people, more money. But, I really feel 1900-2000 passengers is a good size ship.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:23 PM

We do not think there is a chance that Princess (or CCL) will even think about anything near the size of the Oasis. The problem with the Oasis (and its soon to come sister the Alure) is that those ships are just too large to fit into the Princess scheme. Those ships are limited to very few ports and targets a certain type cruise passenger looking for shorter (7 day) cruise to the usual Caribbean ports. We think Princess has been pleased with the size of their Grand Class ships and have done well with various re-designs of the class. We would expect to see more of this size vessel with additional modifications. For example, the newer Grand Class ships have no movable cover over one of the main pools, but do a great job in maximizing the MUTS theme. As to the Oasis, RCI will need to find nearly 12,000 passengers a week to make money on these two vessels (the Alure is coming next year). Because of the limited itinerary of these ships we think they will have to have some deep discounting to fill the ships. There is a market for the ultimatemega-ships but it is not or everyone. As an example, my wife wanted to name the Oasis the "Blight of the Seas."

Hank

Closed Thread

Tags
build, carnival, cruises, design, newest, ocean, old, princess, prototype, ship, ships