Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 PM

The prices on the Feb. 19, sixteen day sailing of the Star Princess contained in the Princess flyer I received a few days ago are unbelievably low for previous Princess cruisers for this fabulous cruise. We are seriously thinking of it. I know Feb. is a good month for calm seas, or at least a good shot at them, but just how rough can we expect the tip of S. America and the Antartic seas to be?
Ellie
Old 07-06-2007, 07:02 PM

The prices on the Feb. 19, sixteen day sailing of the Star Princess contained in the Princess flyer I received a few days ago are unbelievably low for previous Princess cruisers for this fabulous cruise. We are seriously thinking of it. I know Feb. is a good month for calm seas, or at least a good shot at them, but just how rough can we expect the tip of S. America and the Antartic seas to be?
Ellie
Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM

We went from San Diego CA down the west coast of SA and around the Horn to Rio, but not to the Antartic, in Oct. The weather will determine what the seas are like. We had storms around Valapariso Chile and again near Rio with some of the highest seas and strongest gale force winds that we have experienced cruising. All the liquor fell from the shelves in the shops and a junior officer said the sprays were hitting the bridge which was 40 feet plus. You sure could not walk without holding on to the railings. The weather was nice rounding the Horn and seas were not flat but were fairly calm. The stormy days produced rough seas and the nicer days calm seas.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 07-08-2007, 06:49 PM

The Drake Passage is known as the roughest seas in the world. I went to Antarctica in 1999 at the end of December. After leaving Ushuaia the seas became very rough a few hours later and stayed rough for about eight hours while crossing Drake Passage. The ships crew had to secure cupboards in the dining room to prevent dishes from flying out. Once through the Drake Passage things were fine.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:40 PM

Thanks for your responses BJS and cruise fanatic.We are going to take our chance on the Drake Passage, as this cruise sounds just too incredible to miss. We just booked the Feb. 19th Star Princess sailing today.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:13 AM

I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we did no matter what the seas or weather are like.

Future cruises:
Star Princess - Dec. 2007-Rome- TA
Crown Princess- May 2008 TA & Baltics
Pacific Princess-Nov. 2008-Holy Land & Egypt
Diamond Princess- Apr. 2009 Asia- Bangkok to Whittier
Past cruises:
Golden Princess-2007-Alaska
Sea Princess-2005 Canada/New England
Diamond Princess- 2005 Mexican Riviera
Star Princess- 2004 x2 Med. Venice to Barcelona/ Barcelona to Rome
Dawn Princess - 2004 x3- Southern Caribbean
Grand Princess- 2003 x2 W.Caribbean/ 2004 Panama
Sun Princess- 2003 Mexico
Tahitian Princess- 2003 Tahiti & Cook Islands
Royal Princess- 2003 x2- British Isles / Norwegian Fjords & Iceland
Island Princess- 2003 Panama Canal / 2007 Hawaii
Sky Princess- 2000 China & Orient
Sitmar's Fairwind - 1979 x2- Caribbean/Panama Canal
-------------------------------------------------
HAL-Amsterdam- 2004 Alaska
HAL Ryndam - 2001 x 2- S. America
------------------------------------------
Viking Spirit/Pride -2006 Budapest to Amsterdam
Old 07-12-2007, 08:22 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BJS:
I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as we did no matter what the seas or weather are like.

Ciao from Italy, I was working on Explorer 2 which is a Expedition Ship sailing from November to march only to the last white Continent...Antarktica.It was more then fantastik..I got a virus/ The Antarktic Virus. Have a log on the web side from Abercrombie&Kent-Explorer2.www.explorer2cruises.com...klick news and you can follow the ship from November 2006 until March 2007.ICE is NICE.....I hate MR.Drake many often but he did not here me!!!Waves up to 15 meter....see sick
Old 07-17-2007, 05:28 AM

zodiak, I really enjoyed reading that log from Nov. 2006 to December, 2007. We are going on a large ship (Star Princess, 109,000 tons), so we will not have the small ship experience and landings which sounds so wonderful, but for us, it will be enough just to see this awesome and pristine part of the world. Hope we do not pay too much "Drake Tax! Thanks again for sharing.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by SD Cruiser:
Ellie

The weather when we went in early March was extremely calm around the Horn. It was amazing, and an incredible cruise all in all. We went from Buenos Aires to San Francisco on the back to back to back on Golden Princess. I have a review with complete contact information for all our tour providers posted on Cruise Critic and also on my TA's website at www.suzycruisy.com in the review section.

Sea Princess Alaska 2002
Dawn Princess B 2 B Honolulu-Tahiti-Honolulu 2003
Coral Princess Panama Canal full transit 2004
Star Princess Eastern & Western Caribbean 2004
Grand Princess Grand Mediterranean 2005
Golden Princess British Isles 2005
Pacific Princess April 2006 Sydney to Osaka
Star Princess Sept 2006 Baltic and Transatlantic
Golden Princess March/April Buenos Aires to San Francisco
Sapphire Princess October/November 2007 Bangkok - Beijing - Bangkok
Sea Princess May 2008 Mediterrean Medley and Iberian
Upcoming
Royal Princess October 2008 Canada and Colonial America
Ruby Princess November 2008
Caribbean 'almost inaugural'

Closed Thread

Tags
american, antarctic, antarctica, bjs, calm, canal, critics, cruise, cruises, februar, good, grand, month, ocean, panama, princesssouth, reviews