Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 PM

Why don't they just have all dining room as Traditional, the way it used to be. All cruises we been on, we have been seated in the Anytime dining everytime as the Traditional dining rooms are always full and there is always a waiting list. We do not know who came up with this idea of anytime dining. We have never use it and never will.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:13 PM
There are a lot of cruisers who agree with you, wooddon; but there are even more who think Anytime Dining is the greatest think since the chocolate buffet.

I always try to get Traditional but sometimes I just don't book early enough and have been in Anytime several times; and you know what? I like it too! I like being able to walk in anytime I feel like it, and I like that I never have to wait if I am willing to share a table; and I like having a table full of new friends every night, and if I find somebody I really hit it off with, I can eat with them every night. And of course there are things I like about Traditional; I like that by the second night the waiter and assistant know my name and know that I like Pelligrino with dinner and my wife likes coffee WiTH her dinner and I'll have mine AFTER. By the third night we know how many children they each have and how old they are; and by the end of the cruise we're sad at leaving our new and dear friends.

My point is there are good things about both; but if you want Traditional, especially First Seating, you have to book early.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:18 PM

They both have their plus and minus points, but I hate to say this, wooddon. Princess started Anytime Dining.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:05 PM

The only big difference I can see it that it staggers the load on the galley giving then an opportunity to catch up for the different courses. The difference in time isn't going to upset that many cruisers.
I can't see why some people dislike traditional so much unless you like being locked into dining with the same folks for the entire cruise.
Sign me up all the time for anytime dining.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I can't see why some people dislike traditional so much unless you like being locked into dining with the same folks for the entire cruise.
Rich,

8:30 is too late for us, and we like to watch the sail-away so 6:00 is too early on most port days. Sometimes we will eat in a specialty restaurant where we can book at say 7 or 7:30. We haven't been on a cruse with Anytime but have signed up for it on our September cruise on Eclipse. Watch this space.

Regards,

Bill

Old 06-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Hi Bill S, just wanted to let you know, you might have a wait at 7-7:30. That seems to be the "prime time". We normally go down around 6:15-6:30 and get right in. The wait isn't too long, though. They hand you a buzzer, just like a restaurant. Like I said, both have their advantages/disadvantages, but I prefer anytime.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:48 PM

I'm not sure about Celebrity but on Princess we eat at 5:30 PM sharp & when we're leaving the DR (6:45 - 7PM) I usually inquire about the wait time for a table for 2 and they'll tell you 30 minutes but the people waiting around the door say more like 45 minutes.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:28 PM
Just to expound on Rich's post a little: you will have to wait for a table for two or four; but if you are willing to share a table you will go right in. We have never had to wait at Anytime if sharing a table--and only once did that turn out badly.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:32 PM

And that's why we always take anytime dining & show up on the first day to request a specific time & table for two. I make it just like traditional in a way without having to share the hectic chit-chat of a larger table. IFyou wanted to eat at a later time, no big deal, just let them know you want to release your reserved table & make arrangements to go elsewhere or eat with some friends. It has all the advantages of traditional with the flexibility of anytime.

Closed Thread

Tags
advantages, anytime, caribbean, crown, cruise, dining, disadvantages, early, minuses, pluses, princess, sea, seating, time, times, traditional