Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2003, 10:54 AM

I am going on my first cruise ever, with 7 other people, all have been once, some have been many times, over New Years Eve no less, and I'm mortified. Two nights formal, besides! Pack all black! I'm a large woman,I hate clothes shopping and I have no idea what to pack. This worry is further ruining any chance I have to enjoy any part of it. I don't want to go, it's paid for and I know I should be excited.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:54 AM

I am going on my first cruise ever, with 7 other people, all have been once, some have been many times, over New Years Eve no less, and I'm mortified. Two nights formal, besides! Pack all black! I'm a large woman,I hate clothes shopping and I have no idea what to pack. This worry is further ruining any chance I have to enjoy any part of it. I don't want to go, it's paid for and I know I should be excited.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:02 AM

I'm on the larger size myself. You certainly don't have to buy "fancy". Dressey dresses or cocktail dresses are appropriate. If you have a Catherine's in Seattle, that's a good place to start, also J C Penney catalog. Blair mail order in Warren, Pennsylvania is good for casual and bathing suits. You're going to have a wonderful time, and don't be concerned with being large. You'll see a lot of very large people on cruises, at least that's been our experience on the 10 cruises we've been on. You'll become addicted.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:40 AM

DAR don't sweat the clothes issue. First and foremost the purpose of a cruise is to relax and have fun. My general rule for answering the "what to wear on formal night" question is: Wear whatever you would choose to wear to an evening wedding reception. Dresy pants suits, as well as cocktail dresses, etc. are totally acceptable. Black seems to be a staple in every woman's closet, but choose whatever makes you feel comfortable and confident.
Nancy

Free Cruise Tickers
Old 03-04-2003, 07:41 AM

I agree on both previous answers to your question. Since you got some shopping recommendations, I will add one - Appleseeds Catalog. I love their clothes for casual and dressy-casual, and they have lots of elastic waists, pockets and clothes to fit all sorts of "real" people sizes! They have a website too (appleseeds.com). Relax, enjoy and have a wonderful time!
Karen
Old 03-04-2003, 02:57 PM

the other replies were perfect...I've only been on one cruise, I loved the "formal nights" but did not get really dressed up - I wore a black low-cut top and black pants....some people really go to town with the formal wear,lots of black and lots of sequins and glitter, it made the night very special ! my $.02 is you'll blend right in if you wear anything black, add something sparkly for new year's.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:02 PM

Just back from my first cruise. I took too many clothes. There is a big fuss about clothes but there doesn't have to be. Get a black skirt that you are comfortable in and buy a couple sparkly tops or jackets to go with it. Thats all you need. Be comfortable. You will love cruising if you leave all the worry behind. Have fun!
Old 03-05-2003, 11:10 AM

Hi Dar and Everyone,
Please, do not worry about the "formals"
I am within 18W (like to think it is still 16W!)and as much it is a pain in the neck to dress up, it is pretty nice to look nice at the formals.
Even for as many as three formals, I do mix and match and as the others say - black or gray will
go a long way. If, for any reason you just feel not to dress formal, there is always an open buffet up on the top deck.
Have a great cruise!
Elfrieda
Old 03-21-2003, 07:52 PM

Dar,
We have been on Caribbean cruises the last 2 New Years Eves on 2 different cruise lines. Yes, it is formal for 2 of the 7 nights on the cruise, but a pair of dressy black slacks and 2 different dressy tops will get you through it just fine. Jewelry can be added to dress things up even more. You will see an entire range of outfits from very formal to rather casual. Just relax and enjoy!
Old 03-21-2003, 08:00 PM

Work around a basic color so that you have a lot of mix and match. Formal doesn't need to be sequences and tuxes. A plain shirtwaist dress dressed up with some jewlery is formal enough and for guys a dark suit with tie is just fine or he can rent a tux onboard. You must do this prior to sailing however.

Semi-formal is like anything you would wear to an office for work.

Elegantly casual is sundresses, pants with matching top and for men it's a golf shirt and casual pants like you would wear on a golf course.

take 2 bathing suits and 1 coverup

Closed Thread

Tags
black, caribbean, clothes, clothing, color, colorful, cruise, dresses, jc, jcp, jcpenney, penney, slacks, suit, wear