Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2006, 10:05 PM

We are leaving next Saturday, June 17th for a western caribbean cruise on Princess, and I was wondering if it's risky going at this time due to hurricaines. Also, what happens if there are hurricaines? Does the ship take a different route? I don't want it to be raining our entire time on the ship!
Old 06-06-2006, 10:21 PM

Hi - we survived Hurricane Wilma last year while on our cruise w/ NCL Dream out of Houston. We didn't make it to any 4 of the port stops (Cancun, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan). Instead, the ship closely monitored the hurricane and made decisions as the cruise went on. We ended up in Progreso, Mexico and Veracruz, Mexico - none of which any of us had heard of before and a lot of people complained that the trip was ruined. Can't blame it on mother nature or the cruise line though because that's the risk folks have to take for booking a cruise during hurricane season. All cruise lines will not put anyone in jeopardy if there is a hurricane in its path and will take detours to avoid anything from happening - just ignore the complaining and make the best of it. When life throws lemons, make lemonade...
Old 06-07-2006, 05:16 AM

Normally the hurricane season doesn't get bad until late August, September, & October. However, last year hurricanes started earlier. There is no way to tell. I have been on cruises where a hurricane was in the area. One time the Captain reversed the itinerary and we still made every port. Another time we had to miss one port and they went to a different port to make up for it. The Captain always will consider the safety of the passengers first.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:34 AM

The above commentary emphasizes the reason many ships reposition from the Carib to the Med or Alaska during this time of year. Those that stay discount their cruises BECAUSE of the possibility of weather related problems. So, if you CHOOSE to sail in the Carib during hurricane season, be prepared to encounter some problems because mother nature isn't going to change her ways just so you can have a nice cruise.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:46 PM

I have heard from some people on other cruise lines that the formal nights are not very formal, and to not bother with tuxes and formal dresses. Is this true? I am hoping not, because my husband and I are going for our 10th anniversary, and we wanted it to be a big deal. Also, does anyone know if the weather in general in June in the caribbean is okay? I'm just wondering if it's typical to have rain daily, etc.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:06 PM

Most people do dress for formal nights. You'll see everything from tuxes to sports jackets with dockers, formal gowns to slack suits, but most everyone looks great. It does rain in the Caribbean all year around. In June, it is hot, humid and most rain doesn't last long. I bought some rain ponchos in Wal-Mart for $.84/ea, they were in the sporting goods department. Folded they're 2x6x1/2" and weigh about 3 ozs. We through them on and go on our way. We're normally snorkeling, so we're wet anyway--who cares. We're in the Caribbean and not at work, so we tend to go with the flow. Happy anniversary and have a wonderful cruise!
Old 06-08-2006, 06:36 AM
Tom & Mary-Contributing Editors's Avatar

[quote]Originally posted by awest:
We are leaving next Saturday, June 17th for a western caribbean cruise on Princess, and I was wondering if it's risky going at this time due to hurricaines. Also, what happens if there are hurricaines? Does the ship take a different route? I don't want it to be raining our entire time on the ship!

This might alleviate your concerns.

Contributing Editors
Tom & Mary Milano
http://www.tomandmaryscruisereviews.com/Hurricane.htm
Old 06-13-2006, 04:00 PM

Your chances of hitting a major storm in June are slim. ( As I type Tropical Storm Alberto is passing us by here in Florida) The cruise lines do there best to get around the storms even at the expense of bypassing your scheduled port. They'll substitute another stop if possible but the worst that can happen is getting another sea day- which isn't all that bad.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by RichC:
Your chances of hitting a major storm in June are slim. ( As I type Tropical Storm Alberto is passing us by here in Florida) The cruise lines do there best to get around the storms even at the expense of bypassing your scheduled port. They'll substitute another stop if possible but the worst that can happen is getting another sea day- which isn't all that bad.
Hi! RIchC is absolutely correct -- the probability of encountering a hurricane so ealry in the season is quite unlikely. However, as we get into July the possibilit increases, of course with the peak months of August and September (September 9 is the actual peak of the Atlantic hurricane season, climatologically speaking). Fortunately, the drop in hurricane activity after September 9 is almost dramatic; however, we then get into the lowest seasonality of Caribbean cruising -- October, November and up to mid-December. As a result, the best values for cruising in this region are typically found. My advice: if at all possible, spend the extra money and sail the Caribbean in season -- January to early April. There is nothing worse than getting all ginned up for holiday, only to be disgruntled by pesky bad weather that has put a literal damper on one's vacation!
Bon Voyage,
Richard
Bon Voyage,
Richard

Closed Thread

Tags
belize, cruise, june