Go Back   Cruise Reviews Forums > Cruise Lines > Princess Cruises
Register Forgot Password?
New! Use your Facebook, Google, AIM & Yahoo accounts to securely log into this site, click logo to login  
Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2002, 05:07 AM

Hi
My husband and I are taking our first cruise in Sept on The Grand Princess. We're confused on tipping. We've heard that tipping is automatically charged on the cruise card, but then we heard we should tip each attendant/waiter individually. Can anyone help straighten us out on this?
Old 08-06-2002, 05:07 AM

Hi
My husband and I are taking our first cruise in Sept on The Grand Princess. We're confused on tipping. We've heard that tipping is automatically charged on the cruise card, but then we heard we should tip each attendant/waiter individually. Can anyone help straighten us out on this?
Old 08-06-2002, 06:17 AM

Yes Princess does automatically put tips on your onboard account. If you wish you can go to the pursers desk and either ask them to take it off or you can change the amount. You can tip by cash if you prefer or else you can go to certain bars and put what tip you want on your sail and sign card. If you do this they give you a reciept which you can than put in an envelope and give to whoever you wish to tip. They take the reciept to someone onboard the ship and collect their tip.
Old 08-06-2002, 06:54 PM

I am also going to be on a cruise in September to the Virgin Islands on the Grand Princess. We depart 09/15/02. It is my understanding I will be billed $10.00 a day automatically for tipping.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:52 AM

Ruth,
That is correct but it can be adjusted by you. Here is an excerpt directly from their site:

In keeping with Princess' emphasis on Personal Choice Cruising, passengers can easily make adjustments to the automatic charge. Those who wish to change the amount given, or who would prefer to tip crew members in person, can do so by visiting or simply calling the front desk at any time during their cruise.

Or go here

Stan [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2002, 10:32 PM

Automatic tippping is wonderful, as you don't have to worry about filling and giving envelopes. We've been on many cruises, where people at our table don't come to dinner the last night, so they won't have to tip. These are hard working people that get paid very little, and depend on tips. You can adjust tips if you please, but I would suggest you leave them as they are. Do you walk out of restaurants without leaving a tip? If you want to give someone an additional amount, feel free to do so. Any beverages bought on the ship, have an additional 15% gratuity added already, so don't make the mistake we did on our first cruise, and tip additionally, as it's already covered.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:21 AM
Tom & Mary-Contributing Editors's Avatar

Many of our readers have tried our suggestion on tipping with great results

Our Tipping Suggestion:
We like to give the suggested tip for the week, to our cabin attendant, waiter and assistant waiter and Maitre`de, the first
evening of our cruise. Tipping at the end of the week is like locking the barn door after the horse has run away. We make out [3x5] envelopes with a note that reads.... This is a down payment on your services, Thank you, Tom & Mary Milano. On our
[24] cruises we have never had service that was poor enough to warrant us tipping less than the suggested amount. By tipping the suggested amount on the first night, you let your servers know that you are appreciative of good service and they can
expect an additional stipend at the end of the cruise. [At the end of the cruise we usually give an additional $20 to the waiter, $10 to the assistant and $10 or $20 to the cabin attendant]. Giving an extra forty dollars for the week is a small price to pay to ensure the very best from your servers. Take our word for it. It does make a difference.

Regards,
Tom & Mar

Tom & Mary
(The Honeymooners)
Old 08-08-2002, 12:54 PM

Tom & Mary,
Your pre-cruise tipping sounds like a winner. Have you also done that on Holland America and/or other cruise lines that officially "discourage" tipping? I am going on Maasdam next month, first time on HAL, and wonder if your plan is as good an idea there as on the cruise lines that still institutionalize tipping. Thanks!
Karen
Old 08-09-2002, 03:32 AM

As far as Tom & Mary's answer to tipping, can't really see that working on Princess, as they have Personal Choice Dining for the most part, where you probably wouldn't get the same waiter nightly. Also, you would physically have to get all your tips removed at the Pursar's, and then hand them out individually. Having sailed Princess 3 times, service is definitely not an issue. Everyone gets treated superb, more than I can say for 1 other line that we sailed on. I certainly wouldn't be concerned about service. We're doing the Dawn Princess on November 30th, and even though we made reservations very early, First Seating Dining was already booked, so had to get Personal Choice (Although it's not our Personal Choice). We will have a different waiter nightly, so in our case, as is in most, pre-tipping is a must.
Old 08-09-2002, 05:03 PM
Tom & Mary-Contributing Editors's Avatar

It worked the same for us on Princess as it does on all the lines. We had PC dining but we asked to have the same table and the same waiter each evening and the Maitre`de accommodated us. It may have been easier for them to accommodate us because we like to eat at about the same time each evening, between 5:30 -6;30.

Tom & Mary

Tom & Mary
(The Honeymooners)

Closed Thread

Tags
account, added, additional, attendants, autmatically, cruise, cruises, grand, princess, tip, tipping